Acid and teeth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ball

Reaction score
Anyone have issues with the acidity of the tea and their teeth?

I feel like I may be loosing Enamel on my teeth. They are cold sensitive and not as bright.

I drink about 16 oz of very tart tea a day and have been doing that for 6 months.

Makes sense right?

I had a similar issue with soda growing up. I started using a straw because I heard it keeps the soda off the teeth... I was about to share this info with you but decided to google it. Glad I did because I read this and it makes sense: http://askthedentist.com/drinking-sugary-drinks-through-straws/

TL;DR: it makes sense.

Edit: Brush your teeth pretty soon after drinking so the acid doesn't have time to eat at your teeth

Just have it with a meal. Eating food will help remove the acid, or at least neutralize it. Least wise, that's what I was told by my dentist back when I drank tons of soda.

About brushing teeth, my dentist and others I've read say DO NOT brush your teeth within 20 minutes of drinking your booch because the enamel is in a vulnerable state. Dentist also recommended being aware that you're drinking your booch in "one sitting" as opposed to sipping it over time which will increase the odds of enamel erosion. Drink it down, rinse your mouth with water, perhaps eat, and you're good. She likes a straw, too, but it doesn't seem to protect the molars, only the front biters....still, maybe worthwhile.

Back