Accidentally Didn't Crash Yeast Starter and Boiling Right Now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilworker

Reaction score
So I made my yeast starter yesterday and shook it up when I got home from work and put in the fridge to cold crash but I'm in the middle of my boil and all the yeast still hasn't fallen to the bottom. There is about 1\8inch layer of yeast on the bottom of my 1 gallon jug but the starter is still really cloudy. Can I crash overnight and let my wort sit in the carboy over night? Do I risk infection? Should I just add is at the bottom? Any help or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

What kind of yeast? What volume is the starter (is it the whole 1 gallon)? What style of beer is it getting pitched into?

With smaller starters and the right style of beer, I've often just pitched the full starter into the 5+ gallons of wort (for stouts, hoppy beers, etc.)

I've also cold crashed overnight, pitched in the morning, and not had any bad effects.

So…you don't have a whole gallon for a starter do you? Bring it to pitching temp and dump all of it.

It was East Coast Yeast 17 Burton Ale. I'm making a english bitter at only 1.040 starting gravity. The starter was 1.75L of 1.040 wort.

Also. Once you the yeast starting to collect on the bottom, most of the rest of the matter in suspension is yeast. You can proceed to pitch, leaving the trub already beneath the yeast behind

Soilworker said:
It was East Coast Yeast 17 Burton Ale. I'm making a english bitter at only 1.040 starting gravity. The starter was 1.75L of 1.040 wort.
if I were you, I'd bring it to temp and pitch.

Just to follow up...I ended up decanting about half of the liquid and then agitated the rest of it and dumped it in. It's fermenting along nicely now.

Back