Accidentally cold crashed my beer mid fermentation! What next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
So I brewed a brown ale two days ago and began fermentation with the california V yeast. I had it at 70*F to help start fermentation and last night went to chill it down to 60ish for the bulk if fermentation. I stupidly forgot about it and woke up with my beer sitting at 40*F. I set my temp back to 64*F and left for work. What should I expect to happen from here? Fermentation had begun but seemed to come to a halt from the drop. Should I add more yeast? Should i give it a hefty rousing once back up to temp? Will this effect the final quality of the beer much? Any insight would be much appreciated!

Shouldn't be an issue. You basically gave them a nap but they'll wake back up and pick up where they left off.

If anything I would expect a mildly slower fermentation and nothing else.

Have a homebrew and relax!

Same thing happened to me when the temp probe failed and the controller turned on the freezer full-time. Luckily I caught it after 12 hours.

Let it warm back up on it's own and fermentation will continue.

Latest posts

Back