Accidentally added Brettanomyces Bruxellensis first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

412CiderGuy

Reaction score
I wasn’t paying attention and I added my white labs Brettanomyces Bruxellensis instead of the yeast. Should I add the yeast now or wait a while for the BB to do it’s thing?

There is zero activity in the carboy and it’s been 3 days.

I pitched only Brett Brux on my last batch. Took about 3 days to really get going. It’s been about 4 weeks now. I just racked it to a clean carboy for extended aging yesterday. Still quite cloudy and has a bit of a different smell & taste, but I guess that is expected with the strain.

@Sessionz
What strain are you using?

Brettanomyces bruxellensis is a species of yeast, like Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Both species have many different strains.

Last edited:
I pitched only Brett Brux on my last batch. Took about 3 days to really get going. It’s been about 4 weeks now. I just racked it to a clean carboy for extended aging yesterday. Still quite cloudy and has a bit of a different smell & taste, but I guess that is expected with the strain.

Wait so you didn’t add any yeast? Does that work?

Some of my favorite beers are all Brett. That being said you have to pitch like you would a lager. You will get more fruity than barnyard if there is no Sac. Like RPH said pits Sac now and don’t stress. RPH is the wild yeast whisperer. Just do what he says.

Brettanomyces IS yeast!
See my post above.

Oh wow I thought it was like a malolatic used for secondary to alter the flavor. I already pitched some d-47 to the batch but good to know for next time.

I still always recommend pitching Saccharomyces with Brett.

For one thing, Brett is slow, so without a long starter you have a significant risk of mold growth before fermentation begins.

Also, many of the commercial Brett cultures contain unlabeled Sacc, so even what you might think is a 100% Brett fermentation probably isn't. I think it's better to choose which Sacc strain ferments your cider/beer/etc instead of whatever White Labs randomly puts in there.

Flavor-wise, Brett feeds off the Sacc esters, increasing flavor intensity and complexity. Aging sur lie -- especially with battonage -- increases the barnyard flavor contributions.
You certainly don't lose any Brett flavor by co-fermenting. It does not need sugar.

Latest posts

Back