a very slow and gentle electrical stirrer/mixer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Does anyone here have any specs or design for a device I could build (or buy) that I could use to gently stir curds at temperatures around 90 -110 F. I have some cheese recipes that call for stirring for an hour (or more ) and some kind of stirrer that I could set and walk away from would be perfect. I am thinking a motor that could be set on top of the pot and which would turn at about 5-10 RPM to which some kind of fin could be attached...

Thanks BeardedBrews, The ice-cream maker: Does that not turn too rapidly and so is likely to damage the curds, and will the plastic stirrers (dashers?) hold up to 100 F temperatures?
Regarding your second reference, I don't see the description of the stirrer in your posts about the BIAB keg (nice job, though)

Does anyone here have any specs or design for a device I could build (or buy) that I could use to gently stir curds at temperatures around 90 -110 F. I have some cheese recipes that call for stirring for an hour (or more ) and some kind of stirrer that I could set and walk away from would be perfect. I am thinking a motor that could be set on top of the pot and which would turn at about 5-10 RPM to which some kind of fin could be attached...

kitchen-aid?

But you are cooking the curds over a double boiler as you are stirring them... My Kitchen-Aid mixer is insufficiently off-set to do the job

could you maybe find a used one of craigslist or something, and take the top part off the base and build a new stand for it so that is will work for your application.

I think that would at least give you the perfect stirring motion as well as the ability of multiple settings....just a thought. :tank:

I think you'd be better off using an aquarium air pump and blowing bubbles through some copper tubing to the bottom of the kettle. It's the same way we used to stir water in fish tanks back in the day. I'm sure it would move the cut curds around sufficiently.

Might cool the milk a bit though. Not sure, but it'd be a lot easier than putting a big propeller in there.

Wow! I take my hat off to you. That is what I call thinking outside the box and the idea of using air to move the curds may be just what I need. What a great idea. Thank you. I am going to check this out.
It may cool the temperature a little but since I stir while maintaining the temperature all I may need to do is increase the heat a little.

If I would be using 2 gallons of milk (maximum) how big a pump do you think I would need to move that mass of curds - a pump designed for a 5 gallon tank or one designed for 10 gallons?

Thanks BeardedBrews, The ice-cream maker: Does that not turn too rapidly and so is likely to damage the curds, and will the plastic stirrers (dashers?) hold up to 100 F temperatures?
Regarding your second reference, I don't see the description of the stirrer in your posts about the BIAB keg (nice job, though)

I like P's idea of the air pump more, it's cleaner too.

The ice cream machines do turn slowly, my suggestion would have been glue or epoxy to attach a new "paddle" and then just set the motor over whatever container you were already using.

The other links were just in my signature, no stirring for me on the BIAB

Back