A simple digital Taplist solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSR

Reaction score
Yes guys, another Taplist solution, highly inspired by RaspberryPints. I somehow felt that making RaspberryPints work on a raspberry pi was a little complicated for someone who wants a simple tap list. I had a few days in hand and thought why not write an app that one can simply access through a web browser. Since it stores data locally, you don’t need a custom URL (like taplist.io).
Drawback? You would not be able to share your tap list and will be able to edit it from the same system only.

It also has an option to display keg volume (fake flow meter). You simply click on the keg and it will reduce the preconfigured quantity from the keg. Sounds too fake, you can simply hide the column.
It doesn’t have a lot of configurations but you can make it full screen, change the title, set custom font size along with adding your creations of course.

I hope it helps someone.
https://taplist.netlify.app

taplist.jpg
Taplist_header.jpg

Very nice, thanks for sharing. As a beta shakedown can I point out that you accidentally have it that the ibu is being displayed a second time in place if the abv? You can see it in your screenshots and I noticed it when I tried it out as well.
cheers!

Very nice, thanks for sharing. As a beta shakedown can I point out that you accidentally have it that the ibu is being displayed a second time in place if the abv? You can see it in your screenshots and I noticed it when I tried it out as well.
cheers!
Thanks for pointing it out. It's now fixed. :)

Question for you, could you add three different buttons under the keg for recording beer consumption? And, each could be set for a different amount? That way one could select the size of beer that they poured? Each could be represented by a different shaped glass.

Question for you, could you add three different buttons under the keg for recording beer consumption? And, each could be set for a different amount? That way one could select the size of beer that they poured? Each could be represented by a different shaped glass.
Well, the idea of adding glass icons is nice but it creates other issues. I have made the app in a way that the user should see no scrollbar. On my medium resolution screen, in full-screen mode, I can have 6 rows before I start to see a scrollbar. But if I add new glass icons, I can only manage to get 4 rows without scrollbar. If I reduce the height of keg then it doesn't feel symmetrical with other columns.

Moreover I think the customers (our friends and family) don't need to see any info that is not important to them. I may be wrong, but that's my view.

Maybe what I can do is add some hidden buttons so that we know where to click to record beer consumption.
What do you think?

new_glass_icons.jpg

Question 1: If this is hosted locally as a website, would it be possible to access the webpage from anywhere on the local network? I was toying with the idea of trying to run RaspberryPints on an older iPad but having a webpage served from my media computer would be a much better option.
Question 2: This may sound ridiculous, but would it be possible to do a "bottle list" version? I brew quite a bit and usually have about a half dozen higher ABV/special beers lying around (dubbel, tripel, quad, imperial saison, a smattering of pseudo lambics, etc.) that take some time to consume and three or four 4.5-5.5% ABV beers (APA, wit, petite saison) that I run through pretty quickly.

Question 1: If this is hosted locally as a website, would it be possible to access the webpage from anywhere on the local network? I was toying with the idea of trying to run RaspberryPints on an older iPad but having a webpage served from my media computer would be a much better option.

This is a general Raspberry Pi question. Yes. Set a static IP address and you can remotely access the Pi anywhere. Of course, you are now open to others also accessing...

Perhaps, make the images smaller enabling fitting more rows? IMO, sucking up a LOT of real estate with the glass, hop and keg images.
Well, the images are not fixed size, they are percentage base. More rows you have, smaller the image size would be. The height of each column depends on what we are displaying in them. Text > Icon > Text vs Text > Icon > Icon > Text would increase the height of the column.

Question 2: This may sound ridiculous, but would it be possible to do a "bottle list" version? I brew quite a bit and usually have about a half dozen higher ABV/special beers lying around (dubbel, tripel, quad, imperial saison, a smattering of pseudo lambics, etc.) that take some time to consume and three or four 4.5-5.5% ABV beers (APA, wit, petite saison) that I run through pretty quickly.
As 8thMan suggested, yes it is possible.
As far as adding bottled version, it's a nice idea. If I get some free time, I'll try to work on it.

Well, the idea of adding glass icons is nice but it creates other issues. I have made the app in a way that the user should see no scrollbar. On my medium resolution screen, in full-screen mode, I can have 6 rows before I start to see a scrollbar. But if I add new glass icons, I can only manage to get 4 rows without scrollbar. If I reduce the height of keg then it doesn't feel symmetrical with other columns.

Moreover I think the customers (our friends and family) don't need to see any info that is not important to them. I may be wrong, but that's my view.

Maybe what I can do is add some hidden buttons so that we know where to click to record beer consumption.
What do you think?

View attachment 691211

Each user will have a different opinion. I like the ability I have a more accurate idea of what is left in my kegs. But it don't have a lot of people drinking them. I would be willing to give up tasting notes real estate for the 3 buttons, or giving up the keg icon and it be something smaller, like a verticle line. But at the end of the day it is yours and you have made something really cool.

Each user will have a different opinion. I like the ability I have a more accurate idea of what is left in my kegs. But it don't have a lot of people drinking them. I would be willing to give up tasting notes real estate for the 3 buttons, or giving up the keg icon and it be something smaller, like a verticle line. But at the end of the day it is yours and you have made something really cool.
I'll make a separate version with 3 buttons, hopefully in a couple of days.

LOL, i got a kick out of the first posts calories.....

if only i could brew a brüt at 14% with only 131 calories.....simulated drinking is fun......

I'd pay $10 for that on the app store.
Well, first I have never created an iOS app before so there is this learning curve. Second, the Apple Developer program itself costs $99/year. A couple of us here might be ready to pay $10 for an app, but not many. It would be hard to even recover that program cost.

I'm a web developer and it didn't cost me a penny (other than my time) to create this app, that's why I'm sharing it with everyone. And this also gives you satisfaction when you give back (very little) to the community from where you have learned a lot.

Cheers!

Well, first I have never created an iOS app before so there is this learning curve. Second, the Apple Developer program itself costs $99/year. A couple of us here might be ready to pay $10 for an app, but not many. It would be hard to even recover that program cost.

I'm a web developer and it didn't cost me a penny (other than my time) to create this app, that's why I'm sharing it with everyone. And this also gives you satisfaction when you give back (very little) to the community from where you have learned a lot.

Cheers!
I completely understand! :) and thanks for sharing this!

Cheers!
Totally get what you’re saying.

FWIW, if you have a Mac, X-Code is free. Might be worth playing around with it and see if it’s viable. Then start a go fund me to raise the $99 so that you didn’t have to spend anything out of pocket. Let the go fund me contributors be beta testers.

Just a thought.

Updated the app to have 3 different glass sizes. Enable it from settings. I have tried to keep the existing functionality intact, but if anything breaks, please let me know.
Taplist.png

Taplist.png

Totally get what you’re saying.

FWIW, if you have a Mac, X-Code is free. Might be worth playing around with it and see if it’s viable. Then start a go fund me to raise the $99 so that you didn’t have to spend anything out of pocket. Let the go fund me contributors be beta testers.

Just a thought.
Nice idea, but let me first check if even I'm capable of creating a native app. ;-)

I really don't want to ask this question because I think it'll show how dumb I am.
I'm saving the page using Brave browser. Saving it as "webpage, complete"
I can open the web page from what I downloaded. I can get into the settings section.
The problem is-- there is NO background image. It's just a white background.
Is there a way I can get the background to show up so I can read all the light-colored text?

I really don't want to ask this question because I think it'll show how dumb I am.
I'm saving the page using Brave browser. Saving it as "webpage, complete"
I can open the web page from what I downloaded. I can get into the settings section.
The problem is-- there is NO background image. It's just a white background.
Is there a way I can get the background to show up so I can read all the light-colored text?
I have no experience with Brave browser, but I guess the background is not showing up because the path it's looking at for the image is incorrect.
Let's try this:-
In main.xxxxxx.chunk.css lookup for background path. It would be something like /static/media/background.xxxxxx.jpg
Try changing it to ../media/background.xxxxxx.jpg
Also, check the browser console, you might see more errors like this. If you fix them all, it should run locally fine, you don't even need a web server.
Note: xxxxx here represents some random numbers, please don't change them. And there are no dumb questions, even though I wrote this app, I had to go and check how to fix the path issue... :)

Last edited:
First, I installed Firefox and get the same results. Your webpage: Taplist works fine.
Both Brave (an offshoot of Chrome) and Firefox display the web page fine except for no background.

I did as you suggested above, but still no background.

I'm not sure how to check the browser console. I'll do some Google searches and see if I can figure it out.

In the Firefox inspector, I see the background image mentioned (yellow highlight). I also downloaded the background image separately and put it in the folder, hoping the web page would find it. I guess it didn't.

Annotation 2020-07-30 220151.png

Back