A question or 2 on collar for keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I am starting my second keezer build ( first one died) and I am going to do another collared one. My first one had the collar attached to the lid and I like it that way because everything lifted out of the way when it was opened. That allowed me to load or remove kegs no problem... BUT it was VERY heavy and my seal was never great. I think I want to attach the collar on the new one to the freezer itself and just let the lid seal on top of the collar. I will just deal with the taps and things being in the way when I load and unload kegs..... So that all said am I making a mistake? And a second question. Is it necessary to use 2x's for a collar or could I use 1x10's instead? Are they sturdy and hefty enough to hold taps?

I would say to attach the collar to the lid. That has been easiest for me and seems to seal better for me as well (I have built keezers both ways).

For a good seal, you need to remove the gasket from the lid and reattach it to the bottom of the collar so that it is more like the stock seal.

Are you making a mistake? Of course not, as long as you're happy with what you build.

I would definitely use 2x lumber though. One guy in another thread is building one today/tomorrow using a 1x4 and it will most likely work, but you may as well go for strength. Either way, you should insulate the collar (although some people will say it isn't necessary).

Good luck and post pics!

I would definitely use 2x lumber though. One guy in another thread is building one today/tomorrow using a 1x4 and it will most likely work, but you may as well go for strength. Either way, you should insulate the collar (although some people will say it isn't necessary).

That would be me!

I only went with 1x4 because the lip of my freezer was too small to support 2x without extra modification that I didn't feel prepared to tackle, but I'll be sure to report back on how well it works once it's done. I'll be putting in 1 or 2 layers of foam insulation on the inside of the collar.

I've built two - and yes, I fuss with the lines a bit when I change kegs, but I am in favor of the collar on the freezer, not on the lid because it's so much easier - the lid isn't built to support the extra weight, and the freezer edge has no problem supporting the collar.

my first one was 2x6 construction, my second was 1x6 oak, with 1-1/2" foam behind it. Looks much better, seals fine, works great.

Pics here

Back