A pitching extravaganza !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stavale8099

Reaction score
I've had a Belgian strong ale conditioning since September (just tasted it last week - it's amazinggggggggg). It's a Scaldis Noel clone.
I'm ready to bottle it...it's sitting at about 10.5-11% ABV.

Shall I pitch a package of yeast into the bottling bucket w/ the sugar so get it to bottle carb or do you think there are enough yeast in there to wake up? It was a non-flocc. yeast but the beer does look pretty clear.

If I do add yeast, do I just add a pack of dry, half a pack, 2 packs, etc....
Thanks!
Eric

Adding some additional yeast at bottling is a good technique to ensure your beer conditions. Sure there are probably enough yeast left, but adding some with the sugar gets the job done faster and more reliably at that ABV.

I use about half a packet.

That's great - thanks..does it matter the strain, do you think? Do they need to be rehydrated first?

I tend to use either the same strain I fermented with or US-05. You should rehydrate the yeast, as 10% ABV is not a friendly environment.

After consulting w/ the local brew-store, they recommended I pitch a packet of dry champagne yeast. I hope it works....the beer has been entered into a competition. That would suck if its not carbonated by the time I have to submit my samples in May!

Back