A message from Muntons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickproenneke

Reaction score
I've been curious about whether or not Muntons adds caramel/crystal to their extracts. I was always under the assumption that they did include some cara malts in there for color, flavor and head retention. I would even go as far as to factor 5-10% caramel in my recipe formulations when the recipe used Munton LME/DME. When I contacted Muntons for more information, much to my surprise, they informed me that there is ZERO CARAMEL IN MOST OF THEIR EXTRACTS, even the dark ones. Instead, they opt for BLACK MALTS to attain the appropriate extract color. The only extracts that they DO use cara malts in is their Vacuum Band Dried Products, whatever that is :confused:

Here is the the email for Muntons:

Further to your inquiry I am sure I can help. We do not use Caramel or Crystal malts in any of our Spray Dried Malt Extracts but we do use some Black malts, we do use Caramel in some of our Vacuum Band Dried Products and one uses a proportion of Crystal malt. In liquid extracts we do not use any Caramel and very few use Crystal malts but we do use Black malts.

I hope this helps answer your query somewhat and give me a call if you need anything further?

Thank you

Kind Regards

Liz McNeill
Executive Assistant

Good to know,thanks man! I've been using Munton's DME's all along. I like the English flavors I get from adding them to my AE & PM recipes.

Latest posts

Back