A little help for an FNG!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FARRIER

Reaction score
Hi my names Patrick and started brewing a few months ago and this is my 5th batch. I went to my local brew supply and was helped by a familiar face. He helped with an awesome porter I made recently. We were chatting simple recipes as I transition to steeping grains. I think he forgot how much I don't know. The recipe called for:
8# light dme adding for last 15
1# Crstal Malt 40L
.5# Carapils
1.5 oz Zythos For the boil
2oz cascade last min
2oz cascade dry hop
I used 1 lb of the 8 dme at the beginning of the boil to aid with the bittering hops, which was in 2 gallons. Added the other 7 with 15 minutes left. After I finished the boil and cooled the wort it was extremely thick. It barely made it through my mesh screen. And in turn i ended up short after adding my 3 gallons of chilled water into the carboy. Was this too much extract for two gallons? Or did I do something wrong. gravity right before i pitched my yeast was 1.060. Thanks for any thoughts....Patrick

8lbs in 2 gallons is going to be a syrupy (is syrupy a word?) wort.

It will turn into beer though.

Find a bigger pot. You should be fine.

8 lbs of DME in 5 gallons would give you 1.072. Add the steeping grains and you should be around 1.077.

I suspect the sugars didn't mix well and you ended up with a low reading.

Yeah im thinking thats my next move. Hopefully it stills has some good flavor. Is there a steadfast rule for dme to water ive seen many different ratios.

The only rule is to boil as big as you can. In other words, boil as big as your heat source will allow, and get as big a pot as your pocketbook can handle.

I would at least look for a four gallon pot and try to boil 2.5-3 gallons.

I do 4 gallon partial boils on my stove top with a 5 1/2 gallon pot and top off with boiling water throughout the boil to keep me around 4 gallons.

Pez.

Back