A good buy for corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kjuckett1025

Reaction score
Ive checked my local craigslist, local dealers, and online sites. There was one good deal semi local for 45 bucks a used keg, but it doesnt appear to be working out.

Online they want 60-70 for reconditioned or used, local stores want 69 for pin lock.

Found these. Seems too good to be true. ~20.00 to ship, bringing cost to about 85.00 a piece, but brand new. Am I missing something about them thats bad?

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/home-brew/kegs/set-of-2-KM5G-STH-ball-lock-kegs.html?bstr=1

That seems like a decent deal. The prices you are finding are about the same I have been finding while shopping over the past couple of weeks. I am probably going to order 2 from adventures in homebrewing. Their shipping is a lot less than other places for me, and they have new kegs at $75.

http://www.homebrewing.org/AIH-New-5-Gallon-Corny-Keg-Ball-Lock_p_5100.html

Beverage elements also has some scratch/dent new legs at $53.

https://bvrgelements.com/product/Ball-Lock-NEW-5-Gallon-Class-2/

I planned to buy used, but can't save much money buying used at these prices.

That new / belmished deal looks pretty dang good. Anyone have opinions on it? My only concern is how it lists the posts may be difficult to disconnect. Not sure if thats a significant enough of an issue to drop the extra 30 bucks and not have the problem

And I saw that adventures in brewing one but got nervous as one commenter said the post sizes are different than a standard corny keg. Made me worry if repairs are needed down the road, a part may not be easily found

Looks like a good deal. I have a few new kegs and I like them. Mine were made in Italy. I paid about $120 each, so that price is pretty good. My only concern would be quality. Until you get one you won't really know.

I'm done paying $60 for a used corny. When I started brewing they were $25-30 each. I'm thinking of switching to Sankey. If I sell my cornys I can double my money and fund the whole thing.

That new / belmished deal looks pretty dang good. Anyone have opinions on it? My only concern is how it lists the posts may be difficult to disconnect. Not sure if thats a significant enough of an issue to drop the extra 30 bucks and not have the problem

And I saw that adventures in brewing one but got nervous as one commenter said the post sizes are different than a standard corny keg. Made me worry if repairs are needed down the road, a part may not be easily found

The comments about the posts are what scares me also regarding the blemished ones. I would hate to destroy a keg trying to clean it. I assumed the AIH ones just required a different sized socket to remove posts, I assumed the posts would be easily swapped. I might try calling AIH, or posting a question about that.

I bought 4 from adventure in homebrewing about a year and a half ago. Bought 4 more 3 months ago. Never had a problem with post. All were the same size

In case anyone wanted more info from the homebrewing.org kegs I just received them today. The shipping was pretty cheap for me.

The boxes were pretty sturdy. One had a decent sized whole in it, but the keg itself had not been dented. The posts match the same socket I used to remove the posts from the 2 old pepsi kegs I have. 11/16. The orings on the lid were white instead of black. The poppets did not have legs like the pepsi ones do, but everything seems the same. Metal gas and dip tubes. Pics attached. I have to wait until next weekend to fill them up.

20150109_142131.jpg

20150109_142836.jpg

20150109_142842.jpg

20150109_142853.jpg

Looks like a good deal. I have a few new kegs and I like them. Mine were made in Italy. I paid about $120 each, so that price is pretty good. My only concern would be quality. Until you get one you won't really know.

I'm done paying $60 for a used corny. When I started brewing they were $25-30 each. I'm thinking of switching to Sankey. If I sell my cornys I can double my money and fund the whole thing.

When I first started I remembering buying kegs from AiH for $13...those were the days:D

I have two of the AIH newvkegs and the post are the standard size.

Back