A Genuine Viewpoint Opposing LODO As Unsubstantiated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZCoolerBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a joke thread about LODO trying to provoke a discussion, but it was soon to be relegated to the drunken ramblings forum which honestly was probably appropriate.

The thing is, someone went off a little in the LODO forum and after a short time a couple of LODOrs suggested that the LODO forum was a safe place for the technique to be discussed without dissenters coming in and kicking their sand castles down.

So generally, I oppose the LODO ideas for several reasons, but feel like we ought to be able to have a civilized discussion about it. I will lay my ideas out there and then if someone would like to kick down my sand castle, I would like that very much.

1. The “it” factor that German beers have demonstrates that LODO techniques are valid.

This supposes that German brewers make better beer than Americans or otherwhere. I am not a BJCP or Cicerone so I can’t really know for sure, but I’ve definitely had some “it” factor beers right here in the U.S. While staying at The Alise in Chicago, I had a brown ale from Boulevard that I couldn’t stop drinking. Usually, I try everything on tap over some days if I’m at a hotel for a while, but that beer was so good I kept going back for it. Just sayin’ that Germans don’t have a license for being the only ones who can make tasty beer. You might ask, “How much German beer in Germany have you had sir?” I can quite honestly say, I have never been to Germany, but I can’t concede to not knowing. Conformation bias is a powerful thing and I would bet a lot of my own money that I would enjoy German beer in Germany more just because I was drinking it on draft from a bar retrofitted into a castle somewhere in Nuremberg.

2. Commercial breweries fight oxidation like it was the devil himself.

So they probably do. I really can’t say if they do, but again and again, commercial processes are being found to be anywhere from somewhat valid to completely invalid to homebrewers. I would even venture to say that sanitation is a whole different ballgame at the commercial level. They just make so much more beer than most of us. Also, there is a certain economy of scale that commercial breweries must abide by. For example, you don’t need as much hops or specialty malts to achieve the same effect when the batches are massively scaled up. There are so many factors in making beer, how can we know that this is the factor that counts?

3. My beer was good before LODO, but since I started LODO, my beer is spectacular.

Maybe so. It isn’t my place to tell someone why they should do this or that. We all want to think we are super knowledgeable, but the fact is, most of us are just going by conjecture and hearsay anyway. But there is a corollary to the work lost fallacy that says, “The harder you work at something, the better the result.” And there is a correlation, zero effort generally means zero results and lots of effort means somewhere between zero - great results. But consistency is the hobgoblin of the simple mind and working hard at the right things counts more than just working hard. That brings me to the Brülosophy exBeeriment in which LODO beer vs. normal beer had an uncharacteristic significant result. Further tasters preferred the normal beer over the LODO beer. So I don’t have to taste a LODO beer to know that it isn’t preferred, someone has already done it for me. Besides, I am biased against LODO beer, so if I had one, I doubt I would like it.

4. Why do I care?

If I get any responses to my thread I predict that many will say, “why do you care? You brew your beer the way you want to and I’ll brew mine the way I want to. Why all the drama?” The answer to that is I do care what my fellow brewers say a great deal, you all have helped me understand the importance of sanitation, have guided me to making better recipes, inspired me to try partigyle and exotic hops. I care what people say on here and if someone can demonstrably say that brewing during a full moon makes better beer, then I might just brew during a full moon. But, if someone says that LODO is better because they say so, welllllll, that might not be enough for me.

Even if I don’t get a response, I’m glad I got that off my chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe the quote you were referring to was "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds", but most people drop off that part. Anyways, invert the argument, maybe LODO brewers are having the civilized conversation and poking holes in other brew practices, but normal brewers don't want to hear it and turn the discussion into an argument of LODO is false based upon their gut feeling and some confirmation bias on the internet pseudo brewing books. In the end, wouldn't all views be good if discussed in a civilized manner, after all everyone has the same end goal of great beer.

The main frustration is being told it doesn't work and doesn't have an effect by people who have never had LODO beer or even done the very simple LODO mash test. Try doing it or try a beer made by a good LODO brewer then feel free to **** all over it.

I also assume you are referring to the thread contained within the LODO forum by a poster looking for advice and then getting long posts from two users saying it's a myth. Completely unhelpful considering the sub forum was created to contain the LODO posts.

I think the LODO thing is interesting and look forward to whatever happens. I don’t really have a dog in the fight.

There is one thing about LODO claims I don’t understand and maybe someone can explain it.

In another forum I was in a thread on how to make Hefeweizen... I commented that I was never able to get the orange hue and malty taste of a Paulaner etc., and was told that it’s because those are all LODO breweries.

Hefeweizen has been around a long time. Were those ancient breweries LODO? If so how did they do it with primitive gear? If it’s only possible with more modern gear, then at some point there had to be a switch from lesser beer to better beer. Seems like it would be dramatic, but we don’t talk about it.

In the end I’ll do what it takes to make better beer. Someone, please help me make a perfect Hefeweizen! :mug:

I really don't have an opinion either way. I approach each brew day determined to brew the best beer that I have ever brewed, utilizing the methods and knowledge I have gained over the last 11 years of being a Home Brew Nut! Once I get all of the other Gazillion processes dialed in to a fine art I might try and tackle LODO....

I'm pretty sure the Late (and Great) George Fix has written about some of the negative effects of Hot Side aeration. I might be inclined to argue with a few folks on here, but I have neither the intelligence nor experience to argue with Mr. Fix... He has forgotten more than I will ever know!

The main frustration is being told it doesn't work and doesn't have an effect by people who have never had LODO beer or even done the very simple LODO mash test. Try doing it or try a beer made by a good LODO brewer then feel free to poopy all over it.
+1 to this.

I'm dipping my toes in the LODO world, 2 brews deep so far. At this point I'm 100% open minded and I've invested $100 in a stainless chiller that I wouldn't have otherwise needed. That $100 came from competition winnings and that's what I wanted to spend it on. I can afford to put that down to experience if LODO turns out to be a hoax.

I figure I'm good for about 6 batches, to give it a fair rub. At this point one of 4 things happens:

1. "it" is clearly identifiable, and justifies the extra hassle. Great.
2. I'm not a skilled enough brewer to make LODO beer with "it".
3. I'm making successful LODO beer but my palate can't taste "it".
4. There is no "it".

I don't actually care that much if people think it's a fairytale story. But it's pretty unhelpful having people wade in and wreck an otherwise good discussion with "I haven't tried LODO brewing, but I think HSO is a myth".

If someone wades in with "I tried LODO and couldn't taste any difference, and my efficiency tanked" then that is an opinion that is helpful to someone considering giving it a try.

I believe the quote you were referring to was "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds", but most people drop off that part. Anyways, invert the argument, maybe LODO brewers are having the civilized conversation and poking holes in other brew practices, but normal brewers don't want to hear it and turn the discussion into an argument of LODO is false based upon their gut feeling and some confirmation bias on the internet pseudo brewing books. In the end, wouldn't all views be good if discussed in a civilized manner, after all everyone has the same end goal of great beer.

You are correct, that is the quote I’d have been looking for, however, I would have previously quoted my father as having said it until you point out that it is famous and I found it was said by Ralph Waldo Emerson first. In fact the whole thing seems to punctuate my meaning in starting this post.

I admit that I have a gut feeling about LODO, it is not only in my bowels but spewed out on the internet in the form of an exBeeriment as well as the lack of LODO brews sweeping the home brew contests as someone that rhymes with hay hay pointed out.

But in Bizarro HBT where the LODO crowd are the sensible ones and those of us who leave out the SMB are rogue, I guess I’d be rogue since sulfates give my wife migraines.

The main frustration is being told it doesn't work and doesn't have an effect by people who have never had LODO beer or even done the very simple LODO mash test. Try doing it or try a beer made by a good LODO brewer then feel free to poopy all over it.

I also assume you are referring to the thread contained within the LODO forum by a poster looking for advice and then getting long posts from two users saying it's a myth. Completely unhelpful considering the sub forum was created to contain the LODO posts.

Edited because I was being snipey and that’s not the conversation I want to have here.

I think it would be valid if I believed I was making bad beer for someone to say, try LODO, but many people are making really good beer with relatively simple gear and plenty of HSA. Someone said to me today that I made the “best beer they ever had”. Given, they may have said so because they have good feelings about me personally, but still the best beer I ever had is a long way from the worst beer I’ve ever had. LODO just seems to me like taking ponies to the south pole instead of dogs or putting out tofu for Santa. I just can’t wrap my arms around this thing.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone can have an informed opinion about LODO if they haven't tried it or tried brewing it.

I tried BIAB brewing because I wanted to see if it was better than what I'd been doing (for me, it was). Before I tried it, I had ZERO basis for having an opinion, i.e., was the beer the same? Only one way to find out.

I'm doing LODO brewing right now. I've produced some almost mythical beers this way, and some that were just good. When I first read about it it seemed like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow--and everybody knows what happens when you try to get to the end of the rainbow.

But one thing was certain: until I'd tried it, I really had no basis to have an opinion. An uninformed opinion? Of course! But one based on actual knowledge? Nah.

So I've been trying it. Are the results worth it? Who can say, except to themselves?

I agree with anyone who says some of the LODO people act almost as if it's a cult, and YOU don't belong. But if you can get past that--and most of the LODO people I've interacted with online aren't that way--then start thinking about it as an alternate process for brewing beer. It's only that, not a religious cult.

Can you brew good beer without LODO? No. No one has *ever* done that, have they?

I think enough of this to want to upgrade my entire system. I'm either an idiot, or a scientist who knows the only way to fairly evaluate something is to fairly evaluate it. Bought a stainless counterflow chiller. Going to Electric Brewing so I can control the process better. Putting in a RIMS system so I can control mash temps better and even do a multi-stage mash.

In the end, I'll be honest about what I find. It's easier, psychologically, to be honest and not succumb to cognitive dissonance.

OP: I think I know why you care.

You're afraid. Afraid there might be something to this, and then you'll have to make a decision. You just don't want to believe there might be a better way, because if so it would mean your approach is at best, second best. So by denigrating LODO and by implication, perhaps, LODO brewers, you relieve yourself of any responsibility for actually learning about it and even trying it.

I would eagerly jump on the LODO bandwagon if someone with credibility published a book explaining how and why it is worth the time, money, and effort. Credibility in this case, to me, means a high-profile expert in homebrewing, who would be able to articulate the improvements in beer quality beyond this "it" factor nonsense.

Until that day comes, its all horsehockey and I'll continue to kick LODO sandcastles when someone just starting out comes here looking for advice and is told to focus on this superstitious nonsense instead of looking at other obvious areas. I guess its the blind faith part that drives me up the wall; the same reason I won't willingly set foot in a church.

I'm doing LODO brewing right now. I've produced some almost mythical beers this way...
Guess we're supposed to just take your word for it?

...and everybody knows what happens when you try to get to the end of the rainbow.
I've been to the end of the rainbow. The leprechaun I met there was a glue-sniffing pervert.

I would eagerly jump on the LODO bandwagon if someone with credibility published a book explaining how and why it is worth the time, money, and effort. Credibility in this case, to me, means a high-profile expert in homebrewing, who would be able to articulate the improvements in beer quality beyond this "it" factor nonsense.

Until that day comes, its all horsehockey and I'll continue to kick LODO sandcastles when someone just starting out comes here looking for advice and is told to focus on this superstitious nonsense instead of looking at other obvious areas. I guess its the blind faith part that drives me up the wall; the same reason I won't willingly set foot in a church.

This already exists, read chapter 3 of Technology Brewing and Malting by Kunze.

Intuitively, I think there are advantages to LoDO brewing. I resist because (for me) it's anti-RDWHAHB. My job requires a load of detail-oriented planning/thinking, and I just don't want to "work" that hard at brewing, even if it means some sacrifice in the final product.

This is along my thought processes. I have no doubt there are some benefits of doing LODO. But, what are the returns. The investment in equipment even the most simplified systems make it something that I can't/don't want to spend on right now.

I already make beers that, to me, are better than most of the $9 - $12 range craft beer six packs. I don't buy the $25 bombers so I can't compare to those.

How much of an improvement will I see? In my uninformed opinion it would not be enough to warrant the expense, time, hassle to learn and produce a quality LODO beer.

The main frustration is being told it doesn't work and doesn't have an effect by people who have never had LODO beer

But couldn't I say the same thing? You haven't had my Belgian (style) strong dark ale that turns out just the way I like it, so how do you know it is inferior?

BTW, is the LODO thing style dependent? Would you expect dramatic improvement in, say, the above style?

Last edited:
I am not singling anyone out, but collectively I have gotten the feeling that those promoting LODO, look down on those who don't feel that you need to progress to LODO.

But couldn't I say the same thing? You haven't had my Belgian (style) strong dark ale that turns out just the way I like it, so how do you know it is inferior?

BTW, is the LODO thing style dependent? Would you expect dramatic improvement in, say, the above style?

That's a really good question. I think it is, to some extent, style dependent, but I haven't done enough of it to provide you with clear suggestions as to how that might be.

I've found LODO really shines in a Pilsner recipe I've brewed; there's a punch of flavor unlike anything I've ever experienced in a Pils. I've had others rave about it. @Morrey has had it; perhaps he can weigh in.

The effects have been less apparent in a dark lager--almost a Schwarzbier--that I do. This much was clear: the dark malts popped in a way they hadn't in non-LODO batches.

I did a LODO Amber at the beginning of December that, 3 weeks later, was maybe the best beer I've ever done. Served it on Christmas eve with relatives over; the inveterate wine drinkers set aside their wine glasses for this beer once they had a sip, and they had refills. I've never seen the wine drinkers switch to beer, and that Amber did it.

But I've had others that, while excellent IMO, didn't rise to mythical status. Some of that I can attribute to changes in process, which I'm still nailing down. Things like using a hop spider basket versus just tossing them in, or a Rye recipe using my new mill which has too wide a gap so a lot of the rye malt wasn't well crushed. I keep learning.... :)

When I started this odyssey, I wanted to try some LODO beer to see if it was worth the effort and time. Alas, there is none locally of which I'm aware. So the only way to try it was to brew some myself.

That's hard at one level because one is not always sure that the process is correct. But it was the only way.

When I get my electric brewing setup going and I'm comfortable with it, I will do two "identical" batches, one using LODO and my stainless conical, and one the "regular" way without regard to LODO, and a plastic fermenter in a ferm chamber.

Then it might be worth inviting people in the area to try both so they can see what they think. Even JayJay who's only about 3 hours away. :)

Last edited:
If I could just get a taste of a well made LODO beer... Budweiser, Guinness, Heineken, Stella Artois, etc...?

I am not singling anyone out, but collectively I have gotten the feeling that those promoting LODO, look down on those who don't feel that you need to progress to LODO.

I think there is some of that out there. Sort of the cult thing.

There are good and legitimate reasons not to fool with it. It takes longer, in my experience, and many who brew are pressed for time now.

It's more...fiddly. There's a learning curve there that reminds me a bit of when I started brewing. There are a lot of moving parts. I've gotten better at it, but it is a far cry from BIAB, which I personally found to be a very simple, easy, relatively fast process. I've been trying to streamline the LODO process because I don't like the extra time it requires. I think that'll happen now as I'm moving to electric brewing.

I've had the privilege of sampling some of @Morrey 's beer. It's excellent, and meets my major criterion which is "would I have another?" He's not doing LODO on the hot side, but his beer, that I've tasted, has been great.

So the idea, promulgated by whomever is saying it, that if your beer isn't LODO it can't be very good...well, that's not so, at least in my experience.

We'll see if LODO produces beer that is noticeably better in my case, and if the difference, assuming it is better, is worth the hassle.

I for one, think this is a valuable discussion. Good to keep it out of the threads where people are looking for LODO advice.

I've long been intrigued, but I'm reluctant to take on steps like boiling then cooling my water before mashing or setting aside my grainfather CFC. It seems like an all or nothing proposition.

I've long been intrigued, but I'm reluctant to take on steps like boiling then cooling my water before mashing or setting aside my grainfather CFC. It seems like an all or nothing proposition.

You can do the cold side processes without the hot. You'll still see an improvement in the flavor stability of your beers.

I've had the privilege of sampling some of @Morrey 's beer. It's excellent, and meets my major criterion which is "would I have another?" He's not doing LODO on the hot side, but his beer, that I've tasted, has been great.

So the idea, promulgated by whomever is saying it, that if your beer isn't LODO it can't be very good...well, that's not so, at least in my experience.

We'll see if LODO produces beer that is noticeably better in my case, and if the difference, assuming it is better, is worth the hassle.

I think @mongoose33 is being kind comparing his beer to mine. I DO focus on O2 exclusion on the cold side, but the hot side is where I have the most difficulty primarily due to equipment considerations. @mongoose33 is an inventor and pioneer to be sure, so these equipment challenges just fuel his fire.

But...does LODO on both sides make a difference? I can only go strictly by the beers he and I share, but his Pilsner is unlike any homebrew I've made. If we were judging a competition in the Pils category, and all of the beers were coming along nicely with good scores, his would come up and blow the others away. I begged his recipe off him and brewed it only to find my version in the "typically good" category while his was off the chain awesome. Since we did EVERYTHING the same down to the fermentation temperature schedule, I have no other answer except his LODO hot side process management is making this difference.

Why would someone like the OP waste his time to write a post to stir poopy up who clearly has no experience or anything to add on the subject?

That's a much better question.

Someone earlier in the thread said that I am afraid that that there is a better way to brew. I’m 47 years old, when I first tried beer, Killians Irish Red was craft. I’m sure real craft beer was out there, but I didn’t know about it. Something different was getting an oil can of Foster’s Lager. Over the years the beer has gotten better and better and more available. I thought that Anchor Steam was Nirvana and then new Nirvanas keep showing up. And then I met homebrew. My own homebrew was the first I have ever tried. My best homebrew has been the best beer I’ve ever had.

So it’s true that looking out on the horizon there may be a better way. I am interested in brett and lambic, old style brewing methods like that wood fired baked beer video I saw on here, getting set up for kegging, mead and farmhouse styles like bierre de garde. For different reasons I have not tried any of those. I like others have my spidey senses go off when I read stuff about LODO. I would like to know if there is any there there, but am not in the case of LODO going to venture out on my own. I’m really not trying to stir the pot. I do know the kind of thing that sells me and “try it you’ll like it” is not my jam. I’d much rather stand back and watch the train wreck than be on it when it derails. One day LODO will be common and accepted for it’s merit or it will fade as a fad. The world is watching.

My best homebrew has been the best beer I’ve ever had.

I like the way you said that! I feel the same way myself!!

In my opinion, and mind you this is simply an opinion, LODO can produce excellent beers. But this excellence comes at a price...extra time, extra equipment, extra processes to manage, so hot and cold LODO is actually a darn hassle to me. I have the luxury of the equipment to handle cold side LODO practices, but not hot. My beer may be a tick or two under the mark of the best it could be, but like you said - and the way I too feel, "My best homebrew has been the best beer I’ve ever had". I'm good with what I got now, but its also good to know what else is out there in the brewing world.

Thank you.
There are at least two other websites outside of HBT promoting this method.
Many of us are at different levels within the hobby, and frankly, aren't chasing unicorns or awards based on methods that may, or may not be consistently reproducible at home. I seem to get the impression that much of the "perfection" is difficult to acquire without a dedicated expensive investment of time and money.
When the evangelicals of perfection can actually define the elusive "IT", let me know. I might be interested.

The rationale that HSO even matters rests on the same logic as the flying spaghetti monster; that since it can't be disproven, it isn't any less credible than any other facet of brewing science. I won't accept that. I'm not doubting that proof is out there, I just haven't seen it.

On a side note, I recall reading somewhere that even once western explorers in China were presented with the body of a dead panda as proof that they existed, an entire century passed before anyone managed to capture a live specimen.

I will gladly embrace LODO brewing practices as hard science as soon as someone shows me a video of a sasquatch enjoying a pint while remarking on it's 'dazzling punch of flavor' and how the 'dark malts just pop'.

I incorporate a few basic LODO elements into my brewing process, and I think it has helped my beers get better. I have gleaned useful knowledge from some of the LODO threads here. But since this is a hobby to me, and not a profession, I don't want to go all the way down the rabbit hole with it. I want brewing to be an enjoyable, relaxing pastime, and don't wish to go beyond the point of diminishing returns. Limiting stirring, adding K-meta to the strike water, no-sparge mashing, etc., are easy things to do. I'm not going to get into spunding valves and such.

Different brewers have different goals and I get that some people want to take it as far as possible and do everything they can to ensure better process control. But a few of the LODO True Believers(TM) get a little too evangelical about it. When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail...

. . . I am interested in brett and lambic, old style brewing methods like that wood fired baked beer video I saw on here, getting set up for kegging, mead and farmhouse styles like bierre de garde. For different reasons I have not tried any of those.

Brett can be as simple as pouring Orval dregs in the bottleing bucket. (Borrowing from BLAM).

I'm gonna revolutionize HIDO as thee new technique...

Right up there with no chill, BIAB, and hop bursting....

It's gonna make the best beer ever and you can't prove otherwise, so all you EAC's can go back to making your inferior beer while I drink my superior beer with my pinky out while sitting upon my high horse.

I had a long "opinionated" reply to this thread, but honestly no one cares about a stranger's opinion so I deleted it...

I'm what you would call an independent in the LODO argument, but I do have to question someone who accepts Brülosophy exBeeriment results as fact without forming their own judgments. It's okay to be your own person sometimes.

Anyways, why don't some of the naysayers do a beer swap of the same recipe with someone who LODOs? Then you can decide for yourselves.

Glad that's settled, can we move on now?

Anyways, why don't some of the naysayers do a beer swap of the same recipe with someone who LODOs? Then you can decide for yourselves.

If every other variable (water chemistry, yeast management, fermentation conditions, etc. etc. etc. etc.) were exactly the same (other than oxygen management), then maybe that could tell you something. Maybe....

Until then, were stuck with anecdotals, opinions, and some triangle test results that contradict with anecdotals and opinions.

If every other variable (water chemistry, yeast management, fermentation conditions, etc. etc. etc. etc.) were exactly the same (other than oxygen management), then maybe that could tell you something. Maybe.

How is this so difficult? Distilled water built up the same. Dry yeast. Most people in this argument probably control their ferm temps. If you can't control these things then I would agree that LODO probably won't make difference in your beer...

Either way, the whole basis of the suggestion was to entice people to do their own research (I.e., beer swap or try the techniques themselves) before forming such opinions.

I don't care either way, but if you're not willing to even try then why say anything at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back