A few beginner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike280Z

Reaction score
Ok a little background, I'm on my second batch of beer, I'm using a mr.beer setup( it's all I have and will have till I think I'm ready for something bigger and more $$). I decided that since my west coast pale ale with some williamette hops wasn't to shabby I'd try another recipe. For my first brew I just dumped the hops in and hoped they would settle out. In this brew I got a hops bag( seems to be nylon or something similar) from my home brew store as well as some amber DME. My questions are, is the hops bag really just supposed to sit in the wort during fermentation and how much DME would you use for a mr.beer brew. The recipe i used is fallen friar. Thanks for the help.

The hop bag is for during the boil. If you have only done hopped extract then it will be a little different. You would boil for 60 min to get your bittering and 20 min and less for taste, 5 min and less for aroma. The hops would float in the wort during the boil.
As far as DME I would say 1 to 1.5 lbs per gallon would get you around 4.5 to 6 abv. So 2 to 3 lbs for mr. Beer

Well, you usually put the hops in during the boil, and with Mr Beer you are not boiling I guess.

So you are essentially dry hopping but you are doing it too early. You should have waited for the fermentation to be completely done and then you could have put the hops in the bag in there.

Read up on how hops are effected by 60 minutes of boil (bitterness) 20-30 minutes (flavor) and 10 or less minutes (aroma). and dry hopping.

Supposedly bad things happen when yeast is active during dry hopping resulting in off flavors. I hope your turns out well anyway.

Ok, the directions stated to put the bag(they said Muslin) in with the wort and leave it. The DME was just really for added color and alcohol as this is a 2 Can HME recipie. Hopefully the hops and yeast don't have the interaction youve mentioned. I did add them to the water as I was mixing the DME during the boil but the extract was added after.

i have only done one mr. beer and it was a disaster but aren't the mr. beer ingredient kits pre-hopped?
if you use an unhopped extract don't you have to boil to integrate the hops properly?
never mind, i saw your last post too late.

Ok, the directions stated to put the bag(they said Muslin) in with the wort and leave it. The DME was just really for added color and alcohol as this is a 2 Can HME recipie. Hopefully the hops and yeast don't have the interaction youve mentioned. I did add them to the water as I was mixing the DME during the boil but the extract was added after.

Since you don't use grain in this beer, the DME is going to be the malt backbone and some of its maltose will be converted to alcohol, and it does give the beer color. My first batch was a Mr Beer, and mine also had a bag of sugar for ... more alcohol.

If you put the bag in the boil.. how long did you boil it after you put the bag in? It sounds like this was hops aroma. Since you did this, you are not dry hopping and you won't get the off flavors I mentioned from dry hopping during fermentation.

To answer your original question, the bag is fine sitting in there. And since it was in the boil, you also know it has been sanitized.

I was kind of confused as to how and if it was even supposed to be in the boil do It was only in for about 10-15 mins as this was how long it took to mix in the DME. This whole brew was kind of done on a whim since I lucked into the 2 cans of extract and found a recipe for them. Glad to know the bag will be ok it just seems so odd since I'm still kind of timid as to what's floating around in my brew. Hopefully this will turn out well!

I wouldn't worry about it. Mr Beer is very simple and it's a great first step into brewing. It sounds like it will turn out well.

Good to know, no its just playing the waiting game. Always the worst it seems during fermentation!

Just had to try one after putting a bottle in the fridge overnight. Great beer! Exactly what I was looking for, in a darker beer that's not too bitter or overpowering. Something I can be proud of for sure especially when I think it came out of the keg of shame haha.

Just had to try one after putting a bottle in the fridge overnight. Great beer! Exactly what I was looking for, in a darker beer that's not too bitter or overpowering. Something I can be proud of for sure especially when I think it came out of the keg of shame haha.

No shame, ive made some amazing Mead in a $1 gallon spring water container with bread yeast, some orange slices, honey, and a balloon with pinholes as an airlock.

Haha I've got two of those going in my kitchen right now. How long did you wait? Started mine 19th of August.

Back