A couple HOP questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
Crowns VS Rhizomes... What am I more likely to get a decent first year harvest? I work in the turf industry and have for years so I have plenty of plant knowledge when it comes to Irrigation, fertilization rates, and pest management. The question I am most interested in is this. If I do everything perfect, what can I expect for my first year of havest with a variety that does well in my climate?

The first year, the thing that is most important to the plant is root production. I planted 5 varieties and all together harvest was under a pound, as well as low alpha acids. I trained every shoot that came up also, so may have led to low fruit output. Second year though, harvested a pound per 2 feet of growth with 6 bines per mound. I planted rhizomes. Basically, first year is establishment, fruit is a plus, allbeit not full potential.

Crowns vs rhizomes is a no brainer as the crown already has roots established. A rhizome will spent probably half it's available energy making roots and the balance making shoots which means less than optimum yield during the establishment year.

In a perfect world, like you mention, you can probably achieve about 50-75% of that variety's potential if you go with a crown. Some varieties just seem to come to full production earlier than others.

Latest posts

Back