A cooler Mashtun or a dedicated BK or 809 pump for RIMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldy81

Reaction score
Hi folks..

Apologies in advance if there's been a similar thread.. but I've spent 3 days researching similar topics and have not found the right answer.

I have a bit of dilemma... I live in an apartment so I try to minimize the amount of equipment that I have. So I use a 10G Blichmann boilermaker w/ false bottom as both mash tun and Boil Kettle. I have a direct fire setup.

Needless to say, I got tired of collecting wort and recirculating and trying to keep the temperature constant. I collect the wort in a food grade bucket before transferring to the boilermaker..(Is this safe?)

Option 1: Rubbermaid 10G cooler. (Is it actually 10G or does it mean it's suitable for 10G batch? I'm talking about the one on Northern brewer). With this setup I plan to use my boilermaker as HLT and BK.

Option 2: My boilermaker as a dedicated mash tun as I already have a false bottom and and purchase a 8Gal pot with a ball valve as a HLT and BK.
My concern with this setup is the insulation of the mash tun.

Option 3: that I'm looking at is March pump and setup a direct fire RIMS system..

Bare in mind that my budget is around 200-300... so I would like to get the most out of the money.

Thanks in advance.

Agreed with above, if money is a concern then you probably can't get a more effective and cost-efficient brewing item than the 10 gallon cooler mash tun for about $50 + parts. Also, I wouldn't discount square coolers and PVC manifolds as they tend to be even cheaper and seem to work just as well.

Cooler... And if you're batch sparging you can skip the false bottom or manifold and get a cheap screen

Latest posts

Back