A/C Unit Glycol Sizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmahly

Reaction score
Hey all. So I see a lot of DIY glycol projects. Most seem to be for 5 gallon batches using a 5000 btu/hr unit. I'll have a 15 gallon batch size. Would 5000 btu/hr still suffice?

I think mine is a 6.5k unit and am using it to cool a 14 gallon unitank. Not really answering your question, but I think youd be fine with that setup. I've been able to maintain 29 degrees with a 5 degree swing in ambient 90 degree temps. The unit is off a lot more than its on.

I mean are you able to maintain 29 degrees in your glycol bath or fermenter?

I think people control more then 1 FV with the 5,000 btu . If so I would think youd be fine. You could always up the btu for peace of mind.

Yes. Easily. That's what I mean by saying I can maintain 29 degrees with 5 degree variance.

I cold crash at 35 with a 1 degree variance in my fermenter.

Awesome. Thanks so much. At this point Walmart is selling there A/C units for under $100. I'm gonna have to pick one up.

Sweet! I'm looking forward to it. We don't have a deep freeze at the moment because....well ya know. Priorities!

So what quart size cooler are you running?

One of the orange 10 gallon round igloo coolers. Basically my old plastic mash tun. For me, it got the radiator better vertically than laying horizontal.

I use a 50qt cooler
20190728_000217.jpg

Back