A brewday without sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyStanding

Reaction score
I went through an entire brewday yesterday thinking that my 5 gallon bucket of sanitizer had Starsan in it, only to realize this morning, that the Starsan was never added. The lack of foam should have given me a clue, but I didn't notice until this morning when I went to clean up a few odd and ends before work; the sani-bucket was clear, there was no Starsan in there. No, I was not "tasting" homebrew while brewing, but there were quite a few distractions in the brewhouse. I pitched a monster starter of a relatively aggressive strain, so hoping for the best; it was chugging away at 12 hours. Thought I would just throw it out there that these things happen sometimes. Going to let it finish out and see what happens. I'll update in a month or two.

Was the pseudo-Starsan used to "sanitize" your fermenter?
Yeah, I run about 4-5 gal sanitizer through my plate chiller into the fermenter, gives everything a good sani-rinse and then into a bucket for all for the odd and ends during the transfer from kettle to fermenter. So I went through the regular process, but it was just tap water, forgot to add Starsan. Also used for the blow-off airlock, which was one of the give-aways that there was no Starsan in the bucket the following morning; no bubbles on the blow-off. I keep my equipment clean, and dunk the chiller and hoses in sanitizer after their done with the transfer and cleaned, but I only rinse the fermenter with sanitizer right before I fill. The yeast is Wallonian Farmhouse, so it's not a slacker. Letting it run hot and hoping it chugs through before any beasties can take hold. Then again, may just get some extra "garage" funk in my Farmhouse Ale; could turn out spectacular? I'll update when it's done.

Yikes. I'd be most worried about the plate chiller. I don't even know if I would trust starsan to sanitize one of those!

Once back 20 years ago I thought I was adding cleaner to a sink full of water for sanitizing bottles but it was actually priming sugar. The bottles exploded during the carb process. Anyhow, I bet it turns out fine. Beer was made in much worse conditions hundreds of years ago.

If the water had chlorine or chloramine in it, and didn't sit for a couple of days that may have been enough sanitation. Or even just pure enough tap water rinsing out any contaminates.

Good luck.

I just pump hot wort through mine after the boil to sanitize... never and issue with this method in 6 years..

That is exactly what I would do, but like I said, I would never trust starsan alone to sanitize one. OP, did you at least circulate boiling wort through the plate chiller?

That is exactly what I would do, but like I said, I would never trust starsan alone to sanitize one. OP, did you at least circulate boiling wort through the plate chiller?
I ran the wort through it but it wasn't boiling. I just get the counter flow going and cut it loose. Wort was about five minutes after boil. Maybe 190-200 F? I run boiling water through the chiller about every 20 gallons as one of my cleaning regimes, or after a particularly chunky chill. In between, it gets a bath in PBW and lots of backwashing after every use, and a dunk in the sanitizer for good measure.

I've run about 400-500 gallons of wort through it without issue. You keep them clean, it's not an issue. The trick is to never let it "sit till tomorrow"
I accidentally did this, and had a bit of a clog in my plate chiller. I thought I cleaned it out well but ended up having to clear it with co2 later... after 2 batches brewed. First batch came out fine, somehow. Second batch is cold crashing now and had questionable yeast pitched, but seemed lively.

OP should be fine as long as everything was clean. Worst case scenario he gets some extra flavor from a house-yeast!

I ran the wort through it but it wasn't boiling. I just get the counter flow going and cut it loose. Wort was about five minutes after boil. Maybe 190-200 F? I run boiling water through the chiller about every 20 gallons as one of my cleaning regimes, or after a particularly chunky chill. In between, it gets a bath in PBW and lots of backwashing after every use, and a dunk in the sanitizer for good measure.
anything above 170 degrees will sanitize the same as boiling. I never pump wort through while actually boiling, it causes cavitation in the pump which is bad for many pumps.

anything above 170 degrees will sanitize the same as boiling. I never pump wort through while actually boiling, it causes cavitation in the pump which is bad for many pumps.

It probably depends on exact setup details. I pump boiling wort through one of my pumps for 15 minutes every brew day and I have never had cavitation, but I'm sure by the time the wort gets to the pump it's a few degrees under than boiling. A center inlet pump with large diameter hose and inlet fitting probably help.

This is another area I have heard is over emphasized. I have seen at least two people who have said they never sanitize and dont get infections. I am not saying dont sanitize or that it doesn't matter, just that you are probably fine.

It probably depends on exact setup details. I pump boiling wort through one of my pumps for 15 minutes every brew day and I have never had cavitation, but I'm sure by the time the wort gets to the pump it's a few degrees under than boiling. A center inlet pump with large diameter hose and inlet fitting probably help.
I'm not disagreeing with you but ill throw out my current setup.

I whirlpool at the brewery with a 3/4HP santitary pump with the center inlet and 1 1/4" ID inlet hose and 1" outlet hose if I rememebr right, I have a butterfly valve on the outlet of the pump and the pump screams from cavitation if I try to pump right after I kill the heat without choking the flow way down. as the temps start to drop I can open the valve more and more / increasing the whirlpool speed without the horrible chatter it would otherwise give me while the temps are near boiling.. the pump may be rated to temps of 250 degrees or more but not with liquids that turn to steam at 212. (My plate chiller BTW is on a separate pump /recirc setup.)

I went through an entire brewday yesterday thinking that my 5 gallon bucket of sanitizer had Starsan in it, only to realize this morning, that the Starsan was never added. The lack of foam should have given me a clue, but I didn't notice until this morning when I went to clean up a few odd and ends before work; the sani-bucket was clear, there was no Starsan in there. No, I was not "tasting" homebrew while brewing, but there were quite a few distractions in the brewhouse. I pitched a monster starter of a relatively aggressive strain, so hoping for the best; it was chugging away at 12 hours. Thought I would just throw it out there that these things happen sometimes. Going to let it finish out and see what happens. I'll update in a month or two.

@BarleyStanding any update? I didnt catch if this was ale or lager, but if it was ale and you keg maybe youve had a taste?
If its still in the fermentir maybe you can update us when you rack?

@BarleyStanding any update? I didnt catch if this was ale or lager, but if it was ale and you keg maybe youve had a taste?
Still in fermenter. I was away for a few weeks and haven't had a chance to look in on it since returning, might get to it tonight. It's sitting at 60 F and I won't keg (and taste) until I have some space (2-4 more weeks). I don't like to crack open the fermenter until it's time to keg or dry-hop. If I do dry-hop this beer, it will be a subtle keg dry-hop. Didn't look funky or have any sort of pellicle last time I looked (2 weeks ago).

Well then the suspense just builds!!! lol
I feel like every extra day is just another little tip of the scales to the "maybe infected" side... but really hoping to hear back once it's in the glass that all is good!

Beer is in the keg and tastes great; it's a crowd pleaser with friends and family. I kegged it several weeks ago and have been enjoying it, just no chance to get on here and update the post. No funk outside of the normal funk this yeast kicks off. So, I think the take away here is: if you do something, or forget something, and the brew day goes really sideways, relax, have a homebrew (or two), and see the beer through to the end because there's a good chance that it will turn out fine.

Cheers!

Great news!
Your first post said a "monster starter with an aggressive yeast".
I think that was the key here. Every fermentation involves a war between yeast and bacteria.
Even a properly sanitized environment still involves some bacteria, but the yeast wins.
I think you realize your brew session is not typical practice, and you've dodged a bullet on this one. :)
Congrats!

Back