A Bottle Goes Dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSavage

Reaction score
I bottled my cider a month ago (all into green grolsch bottles), but just got around to putting labels on them.

I noticed one of the bottles has gone much darker than all the others.

Has anyone else ever had that happen to them with cider?

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.
All my bottles look like the two on side, the center one is the odd man out.
thumb2_badcider-64673.jpg

I bottled my cider a month ago (all into green grolsch bottles), but just got around to putting labels on them.

I noticed one of the bottles has gone much darker than all the others.

Has anyone else ever had that happen to them with cider?

That would scare me. I'd love to see what it looks like in two glasses side by side.

MarkKF's feelings are also my own. Scary! There is only one thing to do... TRY IT! :)

That...that looks freaky. On a side note, what size are those bottles? and where did you get them?

A co-worker gave me 70+ grolsch bottles in the early 90s. An old boyfriend of hers had moved away some time ago so these bottles are probably from the 80s. I only have 52 left: a handful of breaks over the years and the rest are just non-returned!

I always thought of them as 16 oz bottles but I decide measure them today:

I don't have a graduated cylinder, so just using the gradations on a kitchen liquid measuring cup it looks like 500ml filled to the level shown in the picture. I fill with a spring loaded wand.

Maybe the time or the us market got a different size. My canadian ones are definitely marked 450 ml coming out of the beer store

I have a bunch of Italian sparkling water bottles labelled 16.9 oz.

That's 500 ml. I think.

Latest posts

Back