90min boil for DMS- really needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Howdy folks. Brewing something up using Pilsner malt, and trying to figure out the whole 90 minute boil to remove DMS. Is that actually needed, or is that something that people said a long time ago and folks have just stuck to it?

I was a Brewer at a production brewery, and we never did a 90 minute boil when using Pilsner malt. Never had a DMS issue. We always had a very strong boil for just 60 minutes. No issues.

The idea of a secondary fermentation requirements, oxygen leaking in through a plastic bucket, proofing dry yeast, and adding too much sugar adding a cider-like flavor have been disproven over the past several years as just old misinformation. I'm curious if all the advice I have read about for a 90 minute boil with Pilsner malt is purely from people reading all the articles and repeating what they have read, rather than knowing it from scientific experience.

Bit of a ramble, guess my point is this: do I actually need to do a 90 minute boil with Pilsner malt, or is 60 minutes fine enough?

You are perfectly fine at 60 minutes. DMS is only detectable above a some level. The majority of the DMS is vaporized and gone between 30 and 60 minutes, assuming the top of your boil kettle is not 2" in diameter and there is no lid on it during boiling. Let the steam and vapor be free and be elsewhere :)

Awesome, thanks folks!

I hadn't searched too much into it recently (only had knowledge from years ago), glad to see it isn't needed!

The rate of removal of DMS is controlled by the rate at which SMM converts to DMS in the boil kettle. DMS boils at about 99°F, so it leaves the wort very quickly at 210°F to 212°F, and a more vigorous boil does not significantly increase the rate of DMS removal. The rate of SSM conversion is hugely temperature dependent (check out this thread, post 45 - 56.) If you are at high altitude, and your boil temp is significantly lower than 212°F, then it will take longer to convert all of the SMM into DMS, so you may need a longer boil.

Brew on :mug:

Back