90F the best temp to let oud bruin ride at??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I am reading wild brews currently and just read a recipe that he lists to let an oud bruin ferment in primary for a week at 70ish ten transfer to secondary and let ride at 90F for 1-2 years. This is really accurate and won't get some crazy strange flavors from sitting that hot for that long? I am using the rosalare strain. . Thanks!

I am reading wild brews currently and just read a recipe that he lists to let an oud bruin ferment in primary for a week at 70ish ten transfer to secondary and let ride at 90F for 1-2 years. This is really accurate and won't get some crazy strange flavors from sitting that hot for that long? I am using the rosalare strain. . Thanks!

Hot temps really only cause yeast to produce unwanted flavors in the beginning of the ferment. So raising it after that you are good, it will help ester production and also help dry it out which you want for sours.

I don't think it would be the best idea with Roeselare blend, unless you want it to be done really fast and likely brutally sour. Favouring the bacteria so early may not be the best idea, just a thought. It is also likely the oude bruin in the book is just lacto and perhaps pedio, not brett, sherry flor and such. I don't know what brett will do at 90F for extended periods but it could well be offensive.

I don't think it would be the best idea with Roeselare blend, unless you want it to be done really fast and likely brutally sour. Favouring the bacteria so early may not be the best idea, just a thought. It is also likely the oude bruin in the book is just lacto and perhaps pedio, not brett, sherry flor and such. I don't know what brett will do at 90F for extended periods but it could well be offensive.

You are right that the oude bruin recipe is probably only lacto. Lacto grows optimally at 90-110. I don't think the brett will be extra funky because of the temp. It can only convert the molecules that it has available to it so there will be an upper limit to the brett funk no matter what. I have no idea how the pedio or sherry will react to 90F for an extended period of time.

I just flipped through my copy, found that passage on page 16 on the East Flanders Brown description/specifications: "Secondary fermentation: Up to 2 years in stainless steel at 90F"

Breweries weren't/aren't holding any beer at a constant 90F for 2 years, so I would assume that he intended that as a temp max, as in, "up to 2 years at up to 90F"

I seem to remember reading in Chad Y.'s research (or perhaps elsewhere) that brett can make some nasty character in the mid 80s and up. I wish I could directly cite something but all I have is solid memory of it being a bad idea.

I just flipped through my copy, found that passage on page 16 on the East Flanders Brown description/specifications: "Secondary fermentation: Up to 2 years in stainless steel at 90F"

Breweries weren't/aren't holding any beer at a constant 90F for 2 years, so I would assume that he intended that as a temp max, as in, "up to 2 years at up to 90F"

That says to me they held it at 90F till it was ready as the temp is not "up to" but the time is.

Says they use sacch., lacto and pedio, no sherry or brett.
So anyone know for sure that th sherry or Brett would produce really crazy harsh sour flavors at that temp? I am really only concerned with temps in August and maybe a few weeks in September where I live. After that I will start dropping to 70s then 60s and 60s at the lowest during winter.
Thoughts? Facts?
Thanks all!!

Correct, up to 2 years in stainless steel at 90F. Sacch, lacto, pedio. Now read the bottom of pg 159 to the top of pg 160 in the Lambic fermentation section. Basically, anything over 75F for more than a week or two freaks out Jean at Cantillon, and a summer where it regularly hits 86F may render it undrinkable and even unblendable. Couple things I'll point out:

1) In an East Flanders Brown, they blend with a young beer such that the acidity is balanced by a malty sweetness that is balanced by the hops. The aged beer itself may be aggressively acidic.

2) Flanders Browns are aged in stainless whereas Lambics and Flanders Reds are aged in barrels/foudres. Barrels will assist in the souring in the sense that the beer is surrounded by an oxygen permeable surface and they give the critters a place to live. They will also make an acetic quality more likely at higher temps.

I wouldn't worry, but I would go with the assumption you'll have to blend your way out of it. This is a healthy assumption for all sour beers, you just need to reach a critical mass to make it an option.

Latest posts

Back