90% Attenuation with WLP810

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattGuk

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently made a steam beer with 810, originally meant to be a lager but temps got quite high in the end.
Anyhow, i made a 1gal starter with this yeast and let it go for a few days before chilling and decanting, threw it into 6 gallons of wort.
next morning the blow off going nuts after about 8 hours.
i read a post on here about a Miller lite somebody made and used AE to get a real low gravity, but i didnt want to risk loosing a batch.
i decided to see how low i could get without AE, instead mash really long and low and pitching a large amount of yeast.
I mashed for 4 hours at 140F.
I took a hydro reading yesterday and have gone from an OG of 1.040 down to 1.004 which is 90% attenuation.
just wondering if anybody else has had this?
the yeast says average of 68% attenuation, and although i had had higher before i have never had this high.

Cheers guys

Not really a surprise. Big starter + very low mash temp + low starting gravity + high fermentation temps = high attenuation. The yeast strain has much less effect on overall attenuation than these items. Quoted attenuation numbers should be taken with a grain of salt; especially since yeast manufacturers don't seem to communicate the test wort's composition being used in test fermentations.

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but had to chime in and see if anybody is still watching. I just made an 80 shilling with this yeast. pretty good size starter was used, but I used a pound of caramunich, 8 ounces of flaked barley and mashed at 154. fermented at around 58 degrees farenheit, and with an OG of 1.050, this should have given me some good residual sugars. Instead it went down to 1.009 with an apparent attenuation of 82%. beer tastes good and malty so I'm not upset, but damn!

I know what you mean, i have had over 80% attenution pretty much everytime i use this beast, personally i love it for making dry beers and it seems to work great

Latest posts

Back