8 gallon kettle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiepussbrewery

Reaction score
Looking at getting an 8 gallon kettle for more full boils. Is 8 gallon large enough for a full extract boil. Also this kettle comes with thermometer and ball valve. What size tubing for ball valve and do I need a false bottom for the kettle?

cp

8 gal should be plenty for full boil extract batches. You would be most likely boiling 6-6.5 gallons, so you will really want to keep an eye in it wen adding extract and hops.

Most of us would recommend getting the biggest kettle you can afford, this hobby always makes you want more.

As far as false bottom, are you using the kettle as mash tun?
If not, then IMO it is not necessary.

I have a gift card on amazon..so this is what I can afford. Also I usually pour my wort into a funnel and use a strainer to help catch some of the hop sludge into the primary. Will the ball valve help inthis.

CP

The ball valve will definitely help with transfer into primary. I have my kettle set up so the valve is 48" from ground.
10" piece of silicone 3/8" hose and a mesh screen on top of my bucket that catches most of the hops and trub from the kettle.
Easy peeZy

Back