8.5 gallon kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is possible. I do BIAB and I'm coming up with about 7.5 gallons of needed mash volume (that's 6.8 gal water PLUS 9.5 lbs of grains). I use an absorption rate of 0.065 gal/lb and boil-off rate of 1 gal/hr in my calculations. At 75% efficiency, it yields 1.052 OG which is the lower limit in the recipe's range.

You could reduce the recipe a bit and have no problems - 6.4 gallons at the start requires only 7.16 gal mash volume with the same grains, and produces 1.056 OG.

Or you could also hold back a gallon to sparge with, and pour it over the bag at the end.

End of the day, it's not a big deal if you are just a little flexible. And YMMV on the estimates - these are from my system.

Lots of folks do 5 gallon batches in 7.5 gallon turkey fryers, so yes. Just remember you might need to sparge. Use the priceless BIAB calculator to figure that out.

Personally I have a 9 gallon kettle and it works fine. Most preboil volumes are 7 gallons or less.

Another option if you want to do a full volume mash is to simply make a smaller batch.

Latest posts

Back