7th Hoppin' Sippin' By 1-1-16 DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
I started my latest DIPA on Wednesday the 16th and want it ready to drink as soon as 2016 rolls in. I didn't add the yeast until around midnight and active fermentation didn't start until Thursday afternoon, so I am considering the 17th Day 1. I just got the Ss Brewmaster Bucket, but didn't have a chance to clean and passivate it, so I am doing primary fermentation in the kettle. I have done this before and from my experience the beer ends up even drier. And even though I want it to finish quickly I decided to slightly underpitch at 0.65 rather than my usual overpitching at 1.0 for DIPAs as I heard that the Alchemist underpitches for Heady Topper. I always get great efficiency from Conan yeast, and after 72 hours of fermentation at 65* gravity is down to 1.030 so I think I should be able to hit 1.012 before I transfer to my Ss Brewmaster Bucket on top of a single 5.5 oz dry hop on Day 8 for a 4 day secondary fermentation at 68*. I plan to bottle on Day 12 and be sippin' on Day 16.

5.5 Gallons:
8 lbs Pearl Malt
5 lbs Golden Promise
8 oz Caramalt
4 oz Acidulated Malt
20 g Gypsum

Mash at 148* for 60 minutes in 7 gallons water.
Step mash at 158* for 20 minutes with additional 2.5 gallons acidic water.

10 ml IBU injector @ 90 minutes
1/2 oz Simcoe, 1/2 oz CTZ, 1/2 oz Apollo @ 5 minutes
1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz CTZ @ Flame out
1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz CTZ, 1/2 oz Apollo, 1/2 oz Comet, 1/2 oz Centennial, 1/4 oz Citra, 1/4 oz El Dorado @ 170* Aroma steep for 45 minutes

1.060 OG, pitched ~200 billion cells Conan yeast, fermenting in 8 gallon Tall Boy kettle at 65* to start

Plan to transfer to Ss Brewmaster Bucket, increase temperature to 68*, and add first dry hop on Day 8:
1.5 oz Simcoe, 1 oz CTZ, 1 oz Centennial, 1/2 oz Apollo, 1/2 oz Comet, 1/2 oz Citra, 1/2 oz El Dorado

Had been taking the temperature up to 68* over the last 3 days. Gravity was down to 1.012. Added dry hop: 1 oz Simcoe, 1 oz CTZ, 1 oz Centennial, 1/2 oz Apollo, 1/2 oz Comet, 1/2 oz Citra, 1/2 oz El Dorado

Bottled everything today. Gravity was down to 1.008. Tastes really good.

The beer was good. Not my best ever, but it was only a single dry hop. Probably could have used some more time to carbonate better as well.

Latest posts

Back