72 degree irish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rydia131

Reaction score
First beer and its in the primary. Its an irish red. I was gettin bummed due to low activity but i think u may be because it was too warm. It was at 72 degrees and since then ive moved it into a closet with a cool cement floor. Should the yeast start workin when it gets down a couple degrees? Also what are the chances i will have any long term effects from this? Oh and one more...should i change any of my fermenting times due to this temp lag? For reference it was like this for approx 39 hrs. Thanks for the help!

You might not get any real action for up to 72 hours. What yeast did you use and if it was liquid yeast, did you make a starter? 72 degrees is pretty warm and if it goes off the temperature is likely to rise 5-10 degrees which would definitely be too warm. Also warmer temperatures would make the yeast more likely to be MORE active not less.

Activity may go unnoticed for a variety of reasons. If you are using a bucket and have a leak and are looking for a bubbling airlock you might never see anything. At a high temperature fermentation could possibly start and finish while you are sleeping. In most cases for ales a fermentation temperatures in the low to mid sixties is best.

As to fermentation times - that is not your decision - it is the yeasts. How long to allow the beer to finish after fermentation is done is your decision. You are not too far out of specs that you would need to change anything. I suggest about 3 weeks in primary, check your final gravity then bottle.

kh54s10 said:
You might not get any real action for up to 72 hours. What yeast did you use and if it was liquid yeast, did you make a starter? 72 degrees is pretty warm and if it goes off the temperature is likely to rise 5-10 degrees which would definitely be too warm. Also warmer temperatures would make the yeast more likely to be MORE active not less.

Activity may go unnoticed for a variety of reasons. If you are using a bucket and have a leak and are looking for a bubbling airlock you might never see anything. At a high temperature fermentation could possibly start and finish while you are sleeping. In most cases for ales a fermentation temperatures in the low to mid sixties is best.

As to fermentation times - that is not your decision - it is the yeasts. How long to allow the beer to finish after fermentation is done is your decision. You are not too far out of specs that you would need to change anything. I suggest about 3 weeks in primary, check your final gravity then bottle.

I dont know enough to know exactly what yeast i used. I used a dry yeast and rehydrated in lukewarm water but i didnt temp the water. Wish i woulda but i know it was just lukewarm.
I dont think i have a leak. Not positive if course, but i feel like ive checked thoroughly. So if i can get the temp into the mid to high sixties that would be better for the beer? Also why cant the airlock just bubble?!?! As a first time brewer its all i want at this point haha

Back