64f Too cold for fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

htims05

Reaction score
Just did a IPA with White Labs WLP001. Should I bring it into my house somewhere where the temp is about 68-70?

It's a morebeer kit, 5 gal all-grain batch, 2 WLP001 packets. OG 1.064.

With 64°F temp, you can expect the temp of the fermenter to be higher because of the heat generated. If you pitched around 68°F or a little higher and you get it fermenting, I would leave it in the 64°F environment for two days and then bring it in the house.

Make sure ambient temps don't drop below 64F.

I like fermenting "with the seasons" at times using prevailing temps inside and/or outside. But steadiness of temps is probably more important. 70F during the day and down to 60F at night is not very suitable unless you keep moving it to areas that are 64F for that time.

Using a larger tub (tote, cooler) to place your fermenter in, filling with water just before the fermenter wants to float, creates a wonderful water jacket (heat sink) that's easier to keep temps steady in, reducing fluctuations. You can add one or more frozen water bottles to keep it from warming or hot water or an aquarium heater to keep it warmer, as needed.

Basically, if your temps aren't steady find a way to regulate them.

Agree with IL, I just did two IPAs at 65. I think 65/64 is fine but definitely low end. I am also temp controlling on the temp of the beer, so that's 65 liquid. I was probably closer to 63/64 ambient at peak fermentation.

I agree, I would bring it in now and bring it up a little and then keg/cold crash/bottle.

Latest posts

Back