6 vs 6.5 primary carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyrounds

Reaction score
Hello brewers. sweet and simple, as a new guy, keeping it simple, what seems better? 6g glass carboy for primary only, or should I spend the extra few bucks for a 6.5g. I want to work my way up to a full grain, but for now, I'm sticking with LME and DME. :confused:

I use buckets, because I want 5.25 gallons in the fermenter. 6.5 gallons might be enough headspace,most of the time. But if it's not, well, it's a bit of a mess or a blow off tube (or both). I found some 8 gallon buckets, and I've never had a problem at all, although the krausen in this latest one exceeds the 7 gallon mark on the bucket! :eek:

I'm a fan of 6.5 brew buckets over carboys.Carboys are heavy,way slippery when wet, a pain to dryhop and suck to clean.Buckets are cheap,lightweight and breeze to clean.

hmm, I have a lot to think about, I do like the simplicity and ease of the buckets. I also like the thought of buying a glass carboy and having it potentially forever.
Have any of you had issues of contamination issues using the buckets, ie: scratches?

hmm, I have a lot to think about, I do like the simplicity and ease of the buckets. I also like the thought of buying a glass carboy and having it potentially forever.
Have any of you had issues of contamination issues using the buckets, ie: scratches?
Buckets are considered replaceable items in homebrew.I think my LHBS sells them for like $12.If they get scratched buy another one

BSG 7.8 gallon buckets for the win. They are shorter too so you can fit one over the hump in a chest freezer as well as one at the bottom.

BSG 7.8 gallon buckets for the win. They are shorter too so you can fit one over the hump in a chest freezer as well as one at the bottom.

And you can see through them a bit to see the krausen level and activity- but they are opaque enough that you don't have to worry too much about lighte penetration. And they have molded in handles, so 135 pound weaklings like me can use two hands to carry them.

I have some buckets from about 2006 that are in good shape, but some I've relegated to grain storage or water buckets. They last longer than you'd think, if you take care of them.

Having a carboy or two is nice. Especially as a new brewer, they give you the opportunity to actually see what's happening during fermentation. That said, after a few brews under your belt, you'll see about all there is to see and the ease of buckets will probably win you over.

Best of both worlds is the Big Mouth Bubbler. It's plastic so it's light weight and not breakable. The big mouth makes it easy to clean and it's clear so you can see what's going on with your beer. Two issues, though. One is that they are tough to get the lid to seal well (but there is a simple jury rig solution). Two is DO NOT pour boiling wort or anything hot in them. They make them in a 6.5 gal size.

Having a carboy or two is nice. Especially as a new brewer, they give you the opportunity to actually see what's happening during fermentation. That said, after a few brews under your belt, you'll see about all there is to see and the ease of buckets will probably win you over.

You can pour a pint of wort into a quart jar and get the same ability to see what is going on during the fermentation and not risk the injury that a carboy can do if it breaks when you are carrying it.

I'm an advocate of the bucket fermenters. Big opening, handles, tough enough to withstand boiling wort should you want to experiment with no-chill, and they won't shatter if dropped, even if they are full of beer (but they might split open and spill the beer).:ban:

I started with 5 and 10 gallon food grade shipping buckets and they worked well. Now use glass carboys because I like to see what's going on with different yeasts and recipes.

For now get buckets or Big Mouth Bubbler and brew as much as you can.

Some of the "pros" for buckets can also be "cons", in my eyes: large opening and ample headspace make for easy access and generally help prevent mess, but you don't necessarily want that big, wide headspace once primary fermentation starts dying down. You can minimize the risk / impact of this by not opening the bucket if you don't have to. Buckets tend not to have the best seal, so they're not optimal for any sort of long-term storage either.

You can still get plastic carboys - someone mentioned the BMB. I have a couple of the Vintage Shop 6gal plastic carboys, I've liked them. Their neck is a bit wider than a normal carboy, but nothing a wider stopper can't handle. Any additions I make, I usually just cold crash and rack around the trub (which you can see, vs. a bucket). As far as cleaning, I soak overnight with warm (not hot) water + PBW. I don't think it's any "easier" to clean a bucket, rather a little cheaper re: the price of PBW, but I already have it on hand for other cleaning tasks anyways.

I like 6.5 gallon buckets with the lids from bakery buckets that you can get at Safeway free. They have 4 tabs and are easier on your fingers to open and dry hop.

Also use fermcap for boils and it controls the krausen on an active yeast like Kolsch. So the bigger buckets have never been needed.

I too was going to go with all glass carboys, till I read all the cons and horror stories about them. Not a fan of buckets so they were out. So far went with a Better Bottle and a Spiedel.

Walked into the Adventures In Homebrewings' store, Ann Arbor. I was blown away. I was only there because I was in the area, but I am sold. They seem to have everything. That aside. I bought a 8 gal fermenter. I'm taking the wise words of seasoned brewers and am going with the bucket. Haven't brewed any real beer yet, but I am confident. Thanks HBT.

0409162300-00.jpg

Back