6.5 Gallon 110v Induction Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicalBrewer

Reaction score
I've in the process of switching to electric brewing. I decided to do an experiment with induction to see if I'd like it. While I was experimenting, I decided to see if I could use 120v to boil 6 1/2 gallons of water. So I bought a couple 1800w units and gave it a try. Here are my results.

Equipment:
2 - Secura Duxtop 8100MC
Bayou Classic 40 qt (10 gallon) kettle - magnetic

I placed the two induction cooktops side by side, with the brew pot centered between them.

Temperature rise - steady 2 degrees per minute.
80 - 170 in 45 minutes
170 - 203 in 20 minutes (203 is boiling at my altitude in Colorado)

The boil was roaring before I took the lid off. Once the lid was off it settled down some. If the kettle was insulated a more vigorous boil could probably be maintained.

Here's a short video clip. Sorry for the poor sound...something with the induction cooktops interfered with the sound.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGU-hDdRsxs&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

Last edited:
Did you run the same experiment with a single unit? Since so much if each unit is not under the pot, I am curious if a single unit with full contact would be materially different.

I did start the same experiment with just one unit, but stopped it before the water reached 120 degrees. The heat rise was so slow I knew it wouldn't work for me (meaning I wouldn't have the patience to wait for it). If I remember correctly it was 1.2 degrees per minute rise...just under half of two units together. Having two units together made a significant difference.

Back