$59 dollars really!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well, mine shipped out today, so hopefully it will be worth it. I tried to buy two, but they wouldn't let me do free shipping and the $20 off, so I just got the one.

I am anxious, I should be getting my pot, 2 lbs of hops, a 50lb sack of grain, and two kits from AHS all early next week...I will have to brew fast before the baby gets here!

I thought that the $20 off was for orders over $100. Which pot did you buy and how much was it?

I bought the 60 quart one, but when I did they were offering free shipping on orders over 100 as well as the 20 off 100. So I figured that for the 30 or so difference it would have been it was a no brainre to get two. They wouldn't do both discounts though, so I just got the one

I was still able to order one at the 59$ price. In fact I ordered two, and it came out to around 120 with shipping, thats with the 20% certificate. Shipping was less, so I opted for the discount. Not bad considering I almost bought only one 60 qt earlier this week for 100.

Try the link again and see what you get. Kick ass. My nephew is a welder and see if he can get a spout on one of these :)

Hello 10 gallon batches. But I guess thi means I have to update my cooler hehe any good sales on those?

I was told by my LHBS (local homebrew sensei) That my cooler "blows" B/c I cannot mashout. I've had pretty good results but 25lbs of grain is about tops in a 10 gallon unit. So I'm thinking of upgrading to 15 gal brewpot but want one thats cheap and will last. So 59 for pot valve 20 and false bottom 40 thermometer 30 at most 150 for whole thing or morebeer has their badass one on sale for 229.00??????

Why can't ya mash out? Just drain some wort off into yer boil kettle, apply heat and dump it back in the mash tun till you hit your target temp. Nothing wrong with yer cooler. But if ya got a 15 gal brewpot on yer mind, yeah! IT BLOWS!!! YA NEED A 15 GALLON MASHTUN!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! ;)

Why can't ya mash out? Just drain some wort off into yer boil kettle, apply heat and dump it back in the mash tun till you hit your target temp. Nothing wrong with yer cooler. But if ya got a 15 gal brewpot on yer mind, yeah! IT BLOWS!!! YA NEED A 15 GALLON MASHTUN!!!! WOOO HOOO!!!! ;)

Thats a great idea!! I am just excited to use over 25lbs of grain in a mash I wanna do a winter beer with like 30 lbs. and the false bottom on my cooler is plastic with plastic holes and I think it would work better if it was stainless in a big pot. I guess I will use more propane to keep the tun heated but you win sum you lose some.

<b>Two pics with 24oz mason jar for scale (there's a flat lid not pictured):</b>

<b>The steamer basket it comes with:</b>

I lucked out and saw this thread and made an order for the pot. They had a coupon for $20 off of a $100+ order so I tacked on a 9qt dutch oven I'd been wanting anyway. The pot is shiny, seems to be decent construction. It's a pretty low gauge steel, so heat will dissipate quickly (good or bad depending on the situation). I can't say anything really bad about it at $60.

However, now I've run into the issue of not being able to bring 5 gallons of water to a rolling boil while heating across 2 electric burners. I can create a rolling boil with the lid on. I've mulling over some options (I can't use an outside burner).

1. Some sort of heating plate that can go over all 4 burners.
2. Insulation material around the pot. I'm not familiar with what type I'd have to use, so I'd appreciate suggestions.

Is there anything else I can try?

16" diameter
17" height
50" circumference
3418 cu/in volume = 14.8 gallons capacity

Lying ad! I'm missing a quart! :drunk:

Those are gorgeous! Wish I wasn't so broke right now... REALLY hope they still have some by january at a decent price (student budget... spend it all when ya get it, then hope for more for the rest of the term...)

just got both of mine one of them did have a dent in the bottom of it but nothing huge. For the price i can't complain and they actually are pretty thick almost wish i would have ordered one more for and actuall crawfish pot

16" diameter
17" height
50" circumference
3418 cu/in volume = 14.8 gallons capacity

Lying ad! I'm missing a quart! :drunk:

Does anyone know what the formula would be to figure out how much copper tubing it would take to build an immersion chiller to fit the above specs?

I thought I would also add - 7.5 gallons in this pot looks pretty small. I am going to have to do the occasional 10 gallon batch just so my pot isn't always laughing at me for barely putting any wort in it.

I received mine today and although the bottom is fairly thick it is not clad. Single layer of stainless and you can flex if you push on the bottom.

Still a decent pot for the price.

pot1.jpg

pot2.jpg

I'm going to be taking two of these to the welder at some point. I'll post pictures once they are complete. I have a lot of trust in the welder, so I'm pretty sure he can handle this thin wall. Since these aren't my pots that i'm taking, can anyone relate the wall thickness of these pots to those of a keg?

I really can't answer that because I am unfamiliar with the specs needed to use a welded or weldless bulkhead set-up. I'm gonna guess it's at .125" thick. There is a made in China sticker on the bottom of the pot though.
just got both of mine one of them did have a dent in the bottom of it but nothing huge. For the price i can't complain and they actually are pretty thick almost wish i would have ordered one more for and actuall crawfish pot
Well, got mine today. Gotta say, I’m a bit disappointed. May be you guys got different pots, but the wall thickness on mine is .024 inches. Feels thicker, but the wall mic doesn’t lie. Looks nice and I'm sure it will work fine, but won’t transfer heat very well. And as for welded fittings, you better check this dimension for yourself and let the welder know what he’s in for.

Just for comparison, can someone let me know the thickness of a converted keg?

Well, got mine today. Gotta say, I’m a bit disappointed. May be you guys got different pots, but the wall thickness on mine is .024 inches. Feels thicker, but the wall mic doesn’t lie. Looks nice and I'm sure it will work fine, but won’t transfer heat very well. And as for welded fittings, you better check this dimension for yourself and let the welder know what he’s in for.

Just for comparison, can someone let me know the thickness of a converted keg?

AnOldUR - I am basically considering this a stopgap pot since I am having a really hard time getting my hands on kegs to convert. I think with a weldless fitting and a decent burner it will do alright for a boil pot. Mine got enough heat transfer to boil 7.5 gal fairly quickly with no issues, and it was only about 35 ambient temp.

Thin metal transfers heat more efficiently, the only problem you might have is scalding, but Ive never had that problem with my cheap turkey frier pot, so im not concerned.

Thin metal transfers heat more efficiently, the only problem you might have is scalding, but Ive never had that problem with my cheap turkey frier pot, so im not concerned.
Transfer may have been the wrong word. Conduct or distribute might be better. I know that it's easier to get a boil going in a thick aluminum pot than a thin stainless.

Thicker would have been better and since they advertised it as being "heavy &#8211;gauge", I was expecting more. For the money, though, this is a great pot. I&#8217;ll be fitting mine with weldless fittings, but would like to hear how welded work out. I would consider that option also.

Another thing I want to try is using the aluminum plate pictured below, to help distribute the heat and reduce scorching. It&#8217;s ½" thick and 13" diameter. I&#8217;m curious if putting it between my gas burner and the pot will help. This weekend I&#8217;ll do some timed boil tests.
:confused:

AluminumPlate3.jpg

please report back with your results - things like that can be cost savers in the long run if they reduce fuel consumption

I rec'd mine last night. Not as sturdy as my 10 gal pot, but hey, for 59 what can you really expect? I expect mine to hold 10 gals of boiling wort, and not to fall over. So far it has done just that. Im fine with it. I wouldn't park my truck on top of it, but I also didnt pay 300 bucks for it.

I think ya'll get what I'm trying to say.

I posted this in the other thread too.

I had to beat mine with my fist to get it back to round so the lid could fit. It was shipped in only the box the manufacturer put it in. I don't think I'll trust Cabela's with anything any more fragile.

I brewed a APA in it and it worked great. No more boil-overs!! woot!

Mine came with a dent in the bottom. Fortunately I don't live far from a Cabelas, so I used the in store pick up. I called the store, they checked, had another in stock that wasn't dented and they swapped it out for me.

I plan on doing that. It's still in the planning stage.

I didn't add much to this did I?

Ok, Ok, I was planning on taking my old brew pot to a welder here in town, showing him what I wanted the finished product to do, and see how he wants to go about it. I've got a MIG welder, but I'm not spending the $$ on stainless wire just to weld 2 inches of spigot.

Crap, you said weldless. Guess I really wans't helpful.

Has anyone installed a weldless valve on their Cabela's SS pot yet? I have two, and probably going to give it a try. Hoping to get some feedback first.
Bargain Fittings vendor Wayne Yandell is in this thread and has purchased the pot. It's safe to guess that he'll be doing a weldless valve. Hope he'll post some pictures (hint, hint, hint.)

In case you haven't heard of him, here's his website. Great service. I've used him a couple of times and will again for this pot.

Bargain Fittings

Only trouble is that I got mine under the ruse that it would be my Christmas present. Now they have to be wrapped and can't be used until after the 25th.
:(

I just ordered the 60 qt aluminum pot for $49.99. I guess I'll have to build a bigger mash tun and get another ferm bucket to make 10 gallon batches now. Shucks...

Bargain Fittings vendor Wayne Yandell is in this thread and has purchased the pot. It's safe to guess that he'll be doing a weldless valve. Hope he'll post some pictures (hint, hint, hint.)

In case you haven't heard of him, here's his website. Great service. I've used him a couple of times and will again for this pot.

Bargain Fittings

Only trouble is that I got mine under the ruse that it would be my Christmas present. Now they have to be wrapped and can't be used until after the 25th.
:(

Thanks for the nice words.

I did install weldless fitting sets in the two pots I purchased.

Here is a picture.
cabelassp.jpg

The first pot went very smooth. The second one I ended up dulling the step bit so I need to sharpen it before I attempt another stainless drilling.

I have to say the stainless is very hard on this pot. Its not super heavy duty but its some tough metal to drill.

Thanks for the nice words.

I did install weldless fitting sets in the two pots I purchased.

The first pot went very smooth. The second one I ended up dulling the step bit so I need to sharpen it before I attempt another stainless drilling.

I have to say the stainless is very hard on this pot. Its not super heavy duty but its some tough metal to drill.

What did you use for a pickup inside? I am thinking about mounting my fitting a little higher and putting a 90 degree copper elbow down to the bottom of the pot.

I guess when I get low enough on wort that it won't just come out I could always tip the pot.

I just ordered the 60 qt aluminum pot for $49.99. I guess I'll have to build a bigger mash tun and get another ferm bucket to make 10 gallon batches now. Shucks...

$49.99??? I see the AL for $69.99...and tomorrow is payday!!!:ban:

I wonder if the AL version would take to a valve??? Probably would have to be a heavy gauge?

What did you use for a pickup inside? I am thinking about mounting my fitting a little higher and putting a 90 degree copper elbow down to the bottom of the pot.

I guess when I get low enough on wort that it won't just come out I could always tip the pot.

I just put a half coupler inside my pots and drill that sucker as low as I can get it. I can get all the wort out and leave about a quart of hop sludge if I tilt the pot just a bit.

Latest posts

Back