???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out Northern Brewer & Midwest for starter kits. Or morebeer, AHS...there's a lot of sites to look at for starter kits.

How to brew it's online and it's free

It's good but it is slightly outdated. Either way, it'll be a good tool.

@BowHunter71481 do you know if you have a local home brew supply shop? If so, I'd start there because in addition to being willing to sell you a kit, they're often helpful. You'll want to read some and also hibernate in the Beginner section of the forum. Don't be afraid to ask questions and perhaps provide a slightly more descriptive thread title so you can keep coming back to your threads and reference them as you progress.

When I started I was given little information, but just enough to feel like I could do it. Temperature control was not discussed and I didn't find this site until after I googled looking to see if my fermentation temperature was too high. This site is the absolute best resource outside of books.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!

If you have a Kindle, there are 100+ brewing books you can download. Some with basic instructions, some with recipes, some on advanced topics. I try to buy one every month or so. They're usually ~$10.

the go to books for starting out are

1. The Joy of Home Brewing by Charlie Papazian

2. How to Brew by John J. Palmer.

either, or both, is fine.

i started with "How to Brew".

you can get them online or ibooks, read the first couple chapters to get started, and then off you go.

The Brew store I go to has regular classes on getting started. Very helpful to see it done and my local store also gave a discount on equipment if a person signed up for a class!!

welcome...it's good to see someone else that hunts with a bow on here... :) I'll help you all I can if you send me a PM or an email...being newly retired helps with me having plenty of time. :)
Bob
BTW-I'm about to pitch some yeast on a batch that I brewed today... life is good!

Audio and video podcasts on basicbrewing.com
The guys are awesome and will show you a lot of cool things.

Videos are a great idea.

For some reason I always go back to books. It never occurs to me to go look for videos online. I prefer books or articles.

In fact if I go to CNN I look for new stories without videos and I keep my PCs sound turned off. Must be my age.

Bowhunter, whare are you located? Do you have a local home brew supply store (LHBS) near you? They can be really helpful.

The books recommended are all good. Also there are a ton of good youtube videos about brewing. Just avoid any by TSA ( Take Some Advice)

It really seems intimidating at first, but really is vary easy.

Hang out here and read as much as you can. There are a ron of good brewers here that are very helpful and willing to answer any questions you may have. We all were new brewers at one time so we do understand.

Good luck.

So I am interested in getting started with home brewing where should I start?
Oh, down the rabbit hole we go!!

I'll plug it since I see enough value in it to do it: consider checking out brewing classes at your local community college. I teach at two of our local campuses, and love to help folks get started brewing all-grain right from the start!

Back