5 liter flask capability.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burtom

Reaction score
Hi. I’m going to be brewing a big lager and was wondering how big a starter can be made in a 5 liter flask. I’ll be using a stir plate and fermcap. 4 liters should be doable can you actually do a 5 liter in 5 liters?

Thanks

Yes, with a little head space left over. Are you not supposed to have lots of head space for better oxygen input? Can you just step up?

Yes, with a little head space left over. Are you not supposed to have lots of head space for better oxygen input? Can you just step up?
The timing is not going to be right for doing stepped starters. It’s my wife’s beer and we started the planning a bit late.

This^ is the best thing to do. I do 4 minutes at 1/8 l/m. 1/16 l/m in starters, sorry.

After oxygenating, let it sit for a few hours before starting the stirrer or shaker so you don't blow the O2 out too soon.

I just put it on the stir plate after oxygenating. I figure that the headspace, by that time, is mostly pure oxygen and the flask mouth is covered with foil, and so there shouldn't be too much outgassing from the wort to the headspace.

I've fit a little over 5 liters in my 5 liter flask when using lager yeast. I don't make it that big when using ale yeast though.

Roughly 5.5 L of 2565 in a 5L flask. 3 drops of Fermcap = zero drama...

Cheers!
tapatalk_1545675052132.jpeg

Latest posts

Back