5 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triplehops

Reaction score
hello all,

I was wondering; could you fill a 5 gallon 1/2 way, and bottle the rest? just curious. I have a 2.5 gallon and its perfect. I keg 1/2 of the batch then bottle a case. But the 5 gallon keg is cheaper than a 2.5 so I was just curious.
Thanks to all!!
:rockin:

Yes, you can keg 2 1/2 gallons in a 5 gallon keg. Just purge well with co2. Some add co2 prior to filling, some just vent a few times w/ co2 after filling...YMMV.

[sarcasm]

No. Filling a 5 gallon corny only half full would cause it to reach dangerous levels of headspace and, potentially, become high explosive!

[/sarcasm]

If you force carbonate, you could fill the corny, carbonate and then bottle half the batch.

If you carbonate naturally, the only potential problem would be the huge headspace of air above the beer oxidizing the beer.

Relax! Don't worry. Have a home brew!

If you force carbonate, you could fill the corny, carbonate and then bottle half the batch.
A twist on this would be to transfer all the beer into a 5 gallon keg. This would displace the O2. Then bottle some from the keg with minimal pressure right away, before it has carbed using carb tabs. Or use a picnic tap with a wand stuck in the end to transfer some to a bottling bucket.

Back