3lbs DME for $5.99

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$7.99 flat rate shipping so you need to add a few for the savings to add up but I ordered 4 for $7.99 each net.

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but I’m thinking 5. $38 tax and shipping.

That's a really good price!
Must be a special, all their other DME is "regularly" priced at $13 per 3 pounds.

For comparison, that's about what we pay at our group grain buys, but it's a sticky mess dividing a 50# bag over 3-6 takers, especially when it's humid.

I'd say, stock up for a few years to come!

Ditto on the 5 pack. I have ordered from them before, and always been happy. Can't beat this price. Basically $2 a pound.

Far better than my LHBS.

Support your LHBS as much as you can! Mine closed, there’s one more 20 minutes from me. If Todd closes shop, the next is 1 1/2 hour away.

Granted, I’m all about awesome deals online when they come up, but if I want to fill a grain bill or break another hydrometer, PBW, starsan... LHBS only for me!

Support your LHBS as much as you can! Mine closed, there’s one more 20 minutes from me. If Todd closes shop, the next is 1 1/2 hour away.

Granted, I’m all about awesome deals online when they come up, but if I want to fill a grain bill or break another hydrometer, PBW, starsan... LHBS only for me!

I agree, buy most of my stuff local. But locally, that same 3 pound bag is about $15.
It's worth it to buy grain local, so you don't have to pay shipping. But for instance, my LHBS hasn't had any gypsum in stock for over 2 months now. I finally ordered some online this morning.

Let me know what you come up with! I’m thinking a session smash myself.

I've got an entire freezer full of hops, most of which I've never tried on their own. Just gonna do DME + a single hop variety, whirlpooled at 170F for a bit and then dry-hopped post fermentation. Probably US-05 for a clean yeast character.

Just gonna do DME + a single hop variety, whirlpooled at 170F for a bit and then dry-hopped post fermentation. Probably US-05 for a clean yeast character.

Any thoughts on how long the hop steep will be?

I have a Citra hop steep recipe (1 lb DME, 1 gal water, 1 oz Citra, US-05) that I hop steep at around 180* for around 20 minutes. It's a nice beer.

But how quickly do pellet hops "get to work"? There's a PDF presentation associated with BBR's Nov 1, 2018 podcast that suggests (to me anyway) that pellet hops may "get to work" pretty quickly - maybe within 10 minutes. Trying a 10 minute hop steep is almost to the top of my brew next list, so maybe I'll know more in a month or two.

link: http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2018 ; IBUs vs Wort Gravity and Hop Stand Temps episode, follow the link to the PDF, see pp 19-22 in the PDF chart. Note that this is measuring IBUs, not specific flavor compounds. 8l5 (addition): this.

Last edited:
I've got an entire freezer full of hops, most of which I've never tried on their own. Just gonna do DME + a single hop variety, whirlpooled at 170F for a bit and then dry-hopped post fermentation. Probably US-05 for a clean yeast character.
I just mash my session IPA recipe for a 6 gallon batch, bitter with Magnum to around 30 IBU. Then split and use the various hops.

DME is used for starters here.

Setting aside personal preferences for making wort for hop experiments,
what is on your short list of hops to brew with so that you have a good understanding of hop flavor categories?

Obviously, there are 100s of hops - so one can't brew with all of them. But are there six (twelve?, no more than 20?) that one could brew with to get that understanding of hop categories?

I dunno, something in the citrusy new American category (Citra), something old school American (Chinook), something English (Fuggles), something noble (Hallertau Mittelfrueh), something Czech (Saaz), something Australasian (Nelson), and something weird (Sorachi Ace) maybe?

Setting aside personal preferences for making wort for hop experiments,

Obviously, there are 100s of hops - so one can't brew with all of them. But are there six (twelve?, no more than 20?) that one could brew with to get that understanding of hop categories?

That is a steal on dme!! I just picked some up... kicking myself!
I would also say there a lot of hops derived from another... most online retailers have pretty good detailed notes about each. Resd up on each, make sure you arent trying two similar types. Also make sure to have on hand some bittering, some aroma, and som dual-purpose. I just inventoried my hops and realized i had almost no bittering to choose from... that limits my recipe making.

Any recommendations on specific hops (with a set of flavor categories)?
Well, we kinda hijacked this thread... but that being said- if you want a GREAT deal on DME, scroll up for the link! It;s not gonna be around forever!

So- to answer your question- what kind of beer do you like? What kind do you want to make? Are you a Hop Head? Great news- 80% of all the hops now seem to be for Aroma for IPA's! DO you like German beer? Lager? Etc. Do this- go to MoreBeer.Com and look at their hops. Spend 10 minutes reading about 20 different hops- I promise you will learn a LOT! Or, grab any number of books available.
If you can tell me:
-What kind of beer you want to brew
-What kind of beer you like

I can point you.
Bear in mind it will be MY OPINION. You will need to make up your own. There are as many opinions on here as there are members. Want some fun? Head over to the LODO page!!! lol

Well, we kinda hijacked this thread... but that being said- if you want a GREAT deal on DME, scroll up for the link! It;s not gonna be around forever!

So- to answer your question- what kind of beer do you like? What kind do you want to make? Are you a Hop Head? Great news- 80% of all the hops now seem to be for Aroma for IPA's! DO you like German beer? Lager? Etc. Do this- go to MoreBeer.Com and look at their hops. Spend 10 minutes reading about 20 different hops- I promise you will learn a LOT! Or, grab any number of books available.
If you can tell me:
-What kind of beer you want to brew
-What kind of beer you like

I can point you.
Bear in mind it will be MY OPINION. You will need to make up your own. There are as many opinions on here as there are members. Want some fun? Head over to the LODO page!!! lol

IMHO, a conversation can never be hijacked!

IMHO, a conversation can never be hijacked!
Lol... yeah i agree... but i have seen it go bad fast. So for the mods i think it's best to have a zero tolerance policy... no favorites, etc.

So on this thread... i messed up my grain bill this weekend so i added 0.5# golden light to help hit og... on about 14# grain or so, at say 60 efficency... anyone think i will notice it?
Also really wished i had waited when i saw this sale... i think i bought 1 poind bags for aboutthis cost, if not more. Insert frustrated emoticon guy here!!

Lol... yeah i agree... but i have seen it go bad fast. So for the mods i think it's best to have a zero tolerance policy... no favorites, etc.

So on this thread... i messed up my grain bill this weekend so i added 0.5# golden light to help hit og... on about 14# grain or so, at say 60 efficency... anyone think i will notice it?
Also really wished i had waited when i saw this sale... i think i bought 1 poind bags for aboutthis cost, if not more. Insert frustrated emoticon guy here!!

I don't think you will notice at all.

Well, we kinda hijacked this thread...

reply #21 suggests we'll be OK. I suspect the latest Brulosophy exBEERiment may be "on topic" as well (lemondrop hops for bittering, 60 min vs 30 min boil, tasters noticed, will late boil hops make a 'come-back' in 2020?)

I'm still curious about the specific hops that that you (or anyone else) would suggest for getting an understanding of hop flavors.

Last edited:
Just wanting to vouch for Homebrew Ohio. They have a HUGE store in Sandusky, OH and they are the ones who sold me my first homebrew kit that got my addiciton started. Thanks for posting. This is an incredible price.

I bought some this morning and it shipped this afternoon. That’s fast service!

Just wanting to vouch for Homebrew Ohio. They have a HUGE store in Sandusky, OH and they are the ones who sold me my first homebrew kit that got my addiciton started. Thanks for posting. This is an incredible price.

DITTO. Got my first kit from HBO, and I'm still using at least the bottling bucket. I've bought a lot of additional stuff on Amazon, and a lot of it comes from HBO. NEVER had a complaint about any of their items, prices, or shipping. Good people.

I received a shipping notice within about an hour of my purchase. Then a fedex notice later the same evening. They're on the ball it sure looks like.

Latest posts

Back