Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IL1kebeer

Reaction score
First competition... Might be catching the bug after this.

I have to disagree with one of the judges because he said that my American IPA had too light of a body. I finished at 1.010 (within the style guidelines), but I guess he tasted my beer and that was his perception so I should probably take his comments into consideration and hopefully improve next time.

image-476464445.jpg

38.5 is a good score, but that's a tough category to place in. See what you can do to bump that score up another 4-5 points and you'll have a winner.

Darwin18 said:
38.5 is a good score, but that's a tough category to place in. See what you can do to bump that score up another 4-5 points and you'll have a winner.

Yeah I figured that the competition for American IPA would be stiff, unfortunately that's all I had on tap and the competition was last minute for me. I have a few tweaks in mind based on their feedback so hopefully next time I can break 40 and maybe even place.

First competition... Might be catching the bug after this.

I have to disagree with one of the judges because he said that my American IPA had too light of a body. I finished at 1.010 (within the style guidelines), but I guess he tasted my beer and that was his perception so I should probably take his comments into consideration and hopefully improve next time.

Nobody checks your beer with a hydrometer to see the fg. Its all based on perception.

Just enter it in some other competitions. You can get a 38 in some and the same beer score a 26 in another.

Back