3711 temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
Brewing for the first time with 3711. If i put it in my basement it would ferment around 66 this time of year, if I left it upstairs it would be more like 74-76. Anyone have any insight on what my be better? does it matter? I have a Rye IPA bubbling away in the basement with American ale yeast and it hasn't broke 66 degrees and it's almost done. Maybe the 3711 would heat up a little more? I don't know. Cheers! Joe.

Brewing for the first time with 3711. If i put it in my basement it would ferment around 66 this time of year, if I left it upstairs it would be more like 74-76. Anyone have any insight on what my be better? does it matter? I have a Rye IPA bubbling away in the basement with American ale yeast and it hasn't broke 66 degrees and it's almost done. Maybe the 3711 would heat up a little more? I don't know. Cheers! Joe.

I made the "Cottage House Saison" recipe from here way back when and used 3711. Here are my notes:

"I decided to start fermentation with a higher temperature. It started at 75 for about 12 hours, then bumped up to 78 for another 12, now am sitting at 82 and will leave it there for a bit."

So I'd recommend bringing it upstairs. This was the best beer I have made so your upstairs would be ideal (for me at least).

It depends on how strong of a yeast profile you are going for...but personally I think starting a little cooler and then letting it free rise up into the 80's is the best way to handle this yeast. I would keep it in your basement the first 3-4 days and then move it upstairs. This way you get a cleaner start and keep the fermentation momentum going to dry it out.

I ramp 3711, and all saison yeasts, up past 90F after a good 24hrs of free rise fermentation. Gives the best bright peppery saison yeast character. 3711 was more fruity at those temps and has even higher attenuation. Like 90% or so

edit: i dont ramp slowly. Just submerge it in 95F water so it warms up pretty quick. Never had an issue with fusels using any saison yeasts

I ramp 3711, and all saison yeasts, up past 90F after a good 24hrs of free rise fermentation. Gives the best bright peppery saison yeast character. 3711 was more fruity at those temps and has even higher attenuation. Like 90% or so

edit: i dont ramp slowly. Just submerge it in 95F water so it warms up pretty quick. Never had an issue with fusels using any saison yeasts

Costanza,
have you ever gone with warm temps right off the bat? im thinking of giving this a go with danstar belle. Cool the wort to like 80, pitch, and let ferment at room temps(80-90F depending on the time of day).
ive always done what you said, sorta. pitch at like 70, keep it there for 24 hours then let it get hot.

When I use 3711 in an 1.041 OG wort, ambient temperature of 67°F, the fermentation will rise to a max of 72°F. I let the fermentor drop back to ambient to finish the fermentation.

Temperature rise due to fermentation will depend upon the OG of the wort.

Ive never pitched it that high. But I have seen others do it and it didnt seem to cause an issue. The only time I got bad yeast off flavors from fermenting saison yeast high was when the temp swung up and down with the sun. Tasted like straight up band aids

Wort will probably be somewhere around 1.060 after I finish boiling. Seems like this yeast is pretty versatile. It sounds like you want to get the temp up towards the end (or at some point) to dry it out though?

It will fully attenuate pretty much no matter what you do. My first batch with it was extract and it got down to 1.004.

I've used it at the following ambient temps:
70F: peppery and some funk with some fruit notes; tasty
66F: no pepper, some funk and fruit
62F: no pepper, yeasty flavor; funk and fruit may have been masked by the malts
64F: no pepper; hops and adjunct may be masking the yeast flavors

My next batch will definitely be in the 70s, maybe higher.

Some good advice already. Nothing new to add, just that the several brews I've fermented with 3711 I've cooled to the mid 60's before pitching yeast, kept it at about 65-68 F for the first couple days then let it free rise or put a heating pad on it to push it to the mid 70's for the rest of fermentation. Has done well for me thus far.

It will fully attenuate pretty much no matter what you do. My first batch with it was extract and it got down to 1.004.

I've only done two batches with it but this seems to be my experience. Also, don't be afraid to give it time to finish all the way out. Mine kept eating away for weeks for what amounted to be a few more points. I let both batches sit for a good while and still had a lot of domed caps (I still bottle).

Subjective taste notes re: temp: I did both of the above saisons with temp control in the mid 60s through primary, and turning off the temp control once most of the action was done. Really enjoyed the yeast character in both. Though it might be different if you heat it up, by no means is it necessary to get a lot of "saison" (again, subjective) out of it.

I just kegged a 3711 batch. Like danthebugman I started fermentation in the mid 60's and finished in the mid 70's. It taste good. :mug:

Went from 1.072ish to 1.002. I've read that this strain is a work horse and finishes quickly but it took me about a week and a half to get to FG... Probably user error through.

So I'd say whatever you do at least finish it upstairs in the warmer temps.

To reiterate what others have said -- it seems this yeast will fully attenuate no matter the temperature. From what I have read it seems to be one of the easiest of the saison yeasts. Lots of others may need the temperature to be higher to finish attenuating, which doesn't seem to be the case with 3711.

Let us know what temperature you decide to ferment at and keep us posted with your tasting notes when you're done!

I decided to start it in the basement, I pitched @ 67 degrees, I'm thinking I'll leave it down there for a few days, then bring it upstairs in a warmer area to finish out. Though, this morning it was 49 degrees outside, If that keeps up I don't think I'll get it out of the 60's unless I put it in a water bath! It's my first Saison "Honey Rye", we'll see. Cheers!

I just did this. I let it upstairs in my master bath where I shut off the air conditioning vent. It stays in the mid to upper 70s this time of year.

I let it free rise and it got up into the mid 80s and then dropped to ambient. It was at 1.004 so I though I was done and put it in the 68 degree basement to settle. A week and a half later it finally finished at 1.001.

Peppery, dry, with a slight fruity, dry white wine finish. It's really good. Don't be afraid to let the heat at it.

I was dry hopping an IPA, had all the gear out so I thought I'd check the saison. She's at 1.002. Dried out pretty good I would say. Started at 66 degrees for 5 days, brought it upstairs, it climbed to 75-76 for a couple days, dropped back to 72 and has stayed around 72-74 since. I'll probably let it sit for a while before bottling. Tastes great! Cheers!

IMG_1358.jpg

Back