34/70 at ale temp... Results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casualbrewer

Reaction score
I borrowed some ideas from brulosophy and decided to put them to my own test. I have used saflager 34/70 a few times now with good success fermented cold... Around 48 degrees. However I read about his experience with 34/70 fermented warm and it intrigued me. I stole his Helles recipe and decided to brew it along with my first IPA attempt on same day. Since I only have one temp controlled ferm chamber I decided to set it at 65 degrees and ferment both at same temp. I pitched 2 packets into 65 degree wort and it went to town! Complete ferment in 5 days. I cold crashed for another week, kegged and fined with gelatin as usual. This resulted in a very delicious and clean beer. To be honest it tasted cleaner than those I fermented cooler with 34/70... Makes me wonder how tolerant other lager strains may be... I say for those of you who can't ferment in the traditional lager temps to try 34/70 fermented at cool ale temps. You may be surprised.

That sound very interesting. I read the Brulosophy article also. I have a pack of 34/70 and a lot of pilsner malt. Guess what I'm gonna do?

I borrowed some ideas from brulosophy and decided to put them to my own test. I have used saflager 34/70 a few times now with good success fermented cold... Around 48 degrees. However I read about his experience with 34/70 fermented warm and it intrigued me. I stole his Helles recipe and decided to brew it along with my first IPA attempt on same day. Since I only have one temp controlled ferm chamber I decided to set it at 65 degrees and ferment both at same temp. I pitched 2 packets into 65 degree wort and it went to town! Complete ferment in 5 days. I cold crashed for another week, kegged and fined with gelatin as usual. This resulted in a very delicious and clean beer. To be honest it tasted cleaner than those I fermented cooler with 34/70... Makes me wonder how tolerant other lager strains may be... I say for those of you who can't ferment in the traditional lager temps to try 34/70 fermented at cool ale temps. You may be surprised.

I love it when forumites share value first hand experiences such at this one! 34/70 has been on my mind, and while I do have the capability to ferment low, I'm not really eager to wait for the extended times that cold fermentation can take :D
Currently i'm fermenting Brulosophy's Munich Helles recipe but using WLP029 kolsch yeast at 61-63 degrees, but I may try them again later using 34/70 at low 60s to compare.

Thanks again

did you do a yeast starter? the low temp and need for giant 1 gallon starter's ive read about have deterred me from trying a lager. this give me some hope.

did you do a yeast starter? the low temp and need for giant 1 gallon starter's ive read about have deterred me from trying a lager. this give me some hope.

I did not. I pitched 2 packets directly into wort. Took off quickly.

Latest posts

Back