30 minute stout w/ 100 IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianmatth

Reaction score
Last week I made about 9 gallons of 1.060+ OG beer with 25 pounds of grain and on the final sparge ended up with 4 gallons of beer that I didn't have room for so I kept it in my kettle in the fridge. I had a little time this Friday afternoon so I made another stout. The malt bill consisted of 2-row, Golden Promise, C75, Caramalt, roasted malt, and chocolate malt. I added 1/2 oz Apollo and 1/2 oz Jaryllo at 30 minutes, 1/2 oz Williamette at 5 minutes, and 1/2 Williamete at 1 minute. Ended up with ~3 gallons at 1.044 OG. Pitched 100 billion cells WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast.

Just the 30 minute addition alone (1 oz of 17% AA hops) calculates to over 96 IBU. It would have calculated to over 125 IBU as a 60 minute addition. Even as a 5 gallon batch with no boil off, that 1 oz of hops would have provided over 50 IBU and around 70 IBU as a 60 minute addition.

Gravity was down to 1.011 after a week. I didn't have anywhere to put this beer so I put the kettle in the fridge for a few days to crash the yeast. A few days ago I bottled a 6.5% ABV stout that had been sitting on 1/2 oz of oak chips in my 3 gallon Better Bottle carboy for two weeks, so I put this stout in that carboy on top of the used oak chips. I'm going to give it two weeks and then bottle it.

It's only a 1/2 oz chips and I already had a stout on it for two weeks (which should turn out great once it is carbonated), so I'm sure this stout will get even less wood than the last one.

Back