3 weeks in primary - unexpectedly cloudy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brtisbuck

Reaction score
I've got a NB Irish Red sitting at 3 weeks in primary. I planned on bottling tomorrow so I pulled a sample for a gravity reading yesterday. It's at FG, smells good, taste is a bit milder than expected but I suspect that is do to it not being ready, but it is also very cloudy. More so than expected at 3 weeks. Do I let it go to 4 weeks? I don't really have the equipment to cold crash other than it is 18* out my door here.

FYI - I chilled my wort in under 23 minutes. I used no additives to help clear.

Won't hurt it to stay in the primary another week I always primary 4weeks or bottle and it will probably clear while bottle conditioning

You could wait as mentioned above. Or you could try 1/2 a pack of the unflavored gelatin(i think its 1/2 pack?).

You could wait as mentioned above. Or you could try 1/2 a pack of the unflavored gelatin(i think its 1/2 pack?).

Yep, I had a poor settling on a beer going on three weeks in primary, and decided to try the gelatine fining solution, and it was amazing! I used somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 to 3/4 pack of gelatine that was rehydrated in half a cup of boiled water (cooled it with a tablespoon of filtered water) and worked like a charm, I could actually see the particle settling. Oh, by the way, I racked on top of the gelatine solution in a secondary carboy...was oh so tasty and clear,,,,

When using gelatin, you use grams per five gallons. Follow the instructions on the label, its less than a 1/2 a teaspoon. OP you can leave it set for as long as it needs to clear. I have leave brews for 4-6weeks without concern. Cheers:tank:

For what it's worth - 3 wks in the bottle conditioning should make it turn out nice and clear. No worries...

Gelatin will work. It might not make it crystal clear, but it will make a significant difference.

I brewed Edworts Pale Ale and after 3 weeks it was still cloudy. I added gelatin and put it outside for a week. Cleared up pretty good.

According to Midwest,Wyeast 1056 is a low-medium flocculation yeast. So maybe that's it. I've had a couple batches with cooper's ale yeast that stayed slightly misty going into the bottle. And it's high flocculation. But settled clear in 3 days. The rest of the time,clear going into the bottling bucket.

Thanks all. I think I will just go ahead and bottle, let em' sit for a few weeks to carb up and another week nice and chilled in the bottle and see what happens. It tastes good so I'm not gonna fret.

Thanks all. I think I will just go ahead and bottle, let em' sit for a few weeks to carb up and another week nice and chilled in the bottle and see what happens. It tastes good so I'm not gonna fret.

that's what i'd do. :mug: i use 1056 in a lot of my american style brews, and i've noticed after about 4 weeks in bottles it'll really start to clear out. 5-6 weeks and it should be nice and clear.

Won't hurt it to stay in the primary another week I always primary 4weeks or bottle and it will probably clear while bottle conditioning

The Honey brown I just bottled was still super cloudy after 3 weeks in primary. I decided to give it another week before bottling. I'm glad I waited. An extra week made all the difference.

Latest posts

Back