3 gallon Fast Ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've found that using a really big blow off tube minimizes or actually in my case has eliminated getting crud blown up and out of the fermenter. And I'm filling my fermenters fuller than when I did have the blowouts.

I use a 7/8 ID tube. Ridiculously big... maybe, but the other sizes they had the day I went shopping were too small. But it's worked well so far. Tubing that big is stiff, but I put it in very hot ... not boiling water and softened it up. Then I bent it to the shape I needed and let it cool. It holds that shape pretty well unless for some reason I put it in very hot water again.

I'm thinking the slight pressure that builds up trying to pass through a narrow tube keeps the bubbles from expanding enough to break their surface tension... or what ever the science is behind bubbles. With the larger tubing, pressure when the krausen is active just doesn't build up so the bubbles get big and burst before they can carry crud up into the lines and blow it out.

If your lid has a hole for a stopper, then just find a vinyl tube that is a big enough OD to fit that hole in the lid with out the stopper. I tend to just leave the blow off tubes on till the beer is ready for bottling. But they can be swapped out for an airlock easy enough when ever you care too.

Can I make a 2.5 gallon batch in a 3 gallon FF?

Seems fine. I am not sure how much volume the Fast Ferment actually hold. I usually target 2.6 to 2.7 gallons into my "3-gallon" Fermonsters (which hold about 3.2 gallons all the way to the top). I get an occasional blow off with some yeasts, but most are fine. My generally rule is to shoot for 20% headspace...which means 2.5 gals wort + 0.5 gals headspace = 3.0 gallon fermenter.

I generally always use a blow off tube, though, to be safe.

Latest posts

Back