3 Gallon Black IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frozer860

Reaction score
I have some leftover grains from my last brew and want to use them to make a small (3 gallon) Black IPA. This is the first recipe I am making on my own so I am looking for some feedback on it.

Black IPA Recipe....
3 gallons, 1 hour boil, BIAB
OG: 1.054
FG: 1.012
ABV: 5.48%
IBU: 60.99
SRM: 40

Grains:
5 lb American - Pale 2-Row 76.9%
0.5 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 120L 7.7%
0.5 lb American - Chocolate 7.7%
0.5 lb American - Roasted Barley 7.7%
6.5 lb Total

Hops:
0.5 oz Centennial Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade Boil 45 min
0.5 oz Willamette Boil 15 min
0.5 oz Cascade Boil 0 min

Yeast:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast

I have done a couple of All-grain batches but am thinking it may be easier to to a BIAB for this one since its only 3 gallons. I've never done a BIAB but this is what I got as far as volumes from a calculator.

mash water: 4.13 g
mashout water: 1.77 g
strike temp: 162 F
pre-boil:5.1 g
post-boil:3.6 g
transferred:3.5 g

I just don't want my first recipe to turn out being a hoppy stout. I have read that black prinz, carfaIII, or midnight wheat are good for Black IPAs since they contribute more color than flavor. Thanks Guys !:tank:

What you have there is an American stout with low IBU. Dry hop it with an ounce of Centennial and it'll be fantastic.

Anytime you combine a chocolate, dark crystal and roast barley you've got the trifecta for a stout, especially at 21% of the grist.

If you're interested in a dark IPA, I'd tell you to build a regular IPA, and then either cap the mash with the roast barley or use a debittered black malt such as Carafa III Special or Black Prinz. Midnight wheat will do great for color/head retention but doesn't leave any trace of roast flavor at all, which IMO a dark IPA should have.

Good luck!

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/angry-black-ipa-506356/
Yeah definitely up the hops. Here's a recipe I adapted from a few black IPA recipes up on the sight. A different hop profile, but I was really happy with the results. I was worried about mine coming out more like a stout too, but imho a black IPA should have a little roastiness like sumbrewindude said. Bottom line, if it taste good to you it's right

Thanks. I'll probably cut the chocolate and roasted malt in half and add some midnight wheat for color. Going to crank up all the hop additions to 1 oz too.

Latest posts

Back