3 day lag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Flanders Red for a Homebrew club barrel aging project we have going. It was agreed upon in the meeting that we would use a low fermentation temp to keep esters low (wlp500 abbey ale yeast) so that our barrel bugs could shine through. WELL it's winter and the heater is going almost constantly in the house and it pretty much maintains an ambient temp of 72F. So my only other choice was my outside fermentation chamber which is fantastic for keeping things cold but not so great at keeping things warm. I had it in there for three days the first day was warm and fine inside with a temp of 63. The next two days not so much with a temp of 58. I pulled it inside figuring the replication phase of the yeast is over so ester production should be halted by now. It's now finally bubbling away on day 4. Should I expect any ill effects?

Should be ok. I would still try and keep temps down if you can. You really want to maintain your target temp until primary slows down. You could put it back outside now that it's bubbling and the yeast is actively creating heat and then pull it back in before it gets too cold and stalls on you. Just depends on how much trouble you want to go to.

Back