3/8 inch ID silicone tubing on 1/2 in barbs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewit2it

Reaction score
As above, will I have luck stretching 3/8 ID silicone over my 1/2 inch barbs? And will 3/8 flow enough for use with a pump?

Thanks

You'll probably be fine. I put 1/2" silicon over 5/8" barbs on my system.

Your flow will be OK. Depending on what you are doing with the pump, you'll very likely have to throttle the pump flow back and run it lower than the pump is even capable of.

I've done it. One tip is to dip the end of the silicon tubing in hot/boiling water first as it makes it much more pliable.

Great, thanks, I ordered the tubing from amazon and will let you all know how it goes. At 14.85 for 10 feet, free shipping, no tax It's around half the price of 1/2 inch ID by the time you factor in shipping, tax or gas to drive over to my LHBS.

Great, thanks, I ordered the tubing from amazon and will let you all know how it goes. At 14.85 for 10 feet, free shipping, no tax It's around half the price of 1/2 inch ID by the time you factor in shipping, tax or gas to drive over to my LHBS.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you have any luck? I'm in your same position.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you have any luck? I'm in your same position.

Yes, it stretches on no problem but I would strongly suggest just getting the 1/2 inch ID tubing over the 3/8. The wall thickness is twice as thick on the 1/2 inch so it doesn't tear or collapse under vacuum.

brewit2it said:
Yes, it stretches on no problem but I would strongly suggest just getting the 1/2 inch ID tubing over the 3/8. The wall thickness is twice as thick on the 1/2 inch so it doesn't tear or collapse under vacuum.

I need to go from my 1/2 inch barbed valve to a 3/8 counterflow chiller.

Probably easier to go with the 3/8 tubing.

You'll probably be fine. I put 1/2" silicon over 5/8" barbs on my system.

Your flow will be OK. Depending on what you are doing with the pump, you'll very likely have to throttle the pump flow back and run it lower than the pump is even capable of.

Is putting the 1/2 hose on the 5/8 barb easy enough that it would be convenient to be swapping hoses multiple times without hose clamps through brew day?

Is putting the 1/2 hose on the 5/8 barb easy enough that it would be convenient to be swapping hoses multiple times without hose clamps through brew day?

Not really. The tubing goes on and off the barbs, but it's not slick and quick.

If you are going to be swapping hoses around, you would probably want 1/2" barbs or some type of quick connector.

Latest posts

Back