2x120v brewing - 1 switch, 1 contactor, 2 SSRs and 2 elements?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
I think i saw something around here recently where someone had 2 elements running off of, of course, 2 SSRs, but they had both of them controlled by 1 switch and one contactor.

I can't seem to find this anywhere, and i don't know enough about contactors to know if this will work.

*NOTE* i've built a few panels already and do currently electric brew with 2 120v elements, but i want to see if there is a way to take out ONE switch to make it more simple.

There is no reason why you couldnt do that, especially if you are just using your contractor to control the main power. Take a properly rated contractor, then run it to the SSRs. It would look something like this:

Power -> Contractor -> SSR1, SSR2 -> Elements

If it is a two pole contractor, you could also do it like this:

Power -> SSR1 -> Contractor Pole 1 -> Element 1
Power -> SSR2 -> Contractor Pole 2 -> Element 2

Both methods still allow the elements to be independently controlled. Both would allow you to use a single switch. You could also use two contractors, but still use a single switch by wiring the output side of your switch to both contractors.

There is no reason why you couldnt do that, especially if you are just using your contractor to control the main power. Take a properly rated contractor, then run it to the SSRs. It would look something like this:

Power -> Contractor -> SSR1, SSR2 -> Elements

If it is a two pole contractor, you could also do it like this:

Power -> SSR1 -> Contractor Pole 1 -> Element 1
Power -> SSR2 -> Contractor Pole 2 -> Element 2

Both methods still allow the elements to be independently controlled. Both would allow you to use a single switch. You could also use two contractors, but still use a single switch by wiring the output side of your switch to both contractors.

Thank you much! that is what i needed and also, i found the drawing. This looks like what you were talking about as well.
[
So with the drawing below. would i be able to get away with a 40 amp two pole contractor? and would i need the 120v as the system is 120v, or would i need the 240v as i'm running 2 120v legs?

auberinwiring1a42000wbi.jpg

Thank you much! that is what i needed and also, i found the drawing. This looks like what you were talking about as well.
[
So with the drawing below. would i be able to get away with a 40 amp two pole contractor? and would i need the 120v as the system is 120v, or would i need the 240v as i'm running 2 120v legs?

auberinwiring1a42000wbi.jpg

You could get away with a 40amp two pole 120v contractor (is there such a thing?). I would use a 240v, as it will work and would allow you to go to 240v in the future.

Unless you know for sure that your circuits are out of phase, then you have 120v. If they are out of phase, you could combine them to have a 20v 240v circuit.

You could get away with a 40amp two pole 120v contractor (is there such a thing?). I would use a 240v, as it will work and would allow you to go to 240v in the future.

Unless you know for sure that your circuits are out of phase, then you have 120v. If they are out of phase, you could combine them to have a 20v 240v circuit.

Perfect! thats what i was curious on.

Here is that contactor (120v 40amp, not sure why it's like that either)
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=130

here is the 240 one
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_31&products_id=164

considering they're the same exact price i'll jump to the 240 coil as i will be hopefully getting a 240v outlet when i move (i'm wiring the box with 10g anyways so i can make the switch easy)

Latest posts

Back