2nd time unlucky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdoug37

Reaction score
Just racked my second attempt at a full grain brew into secondary fermentation using the Wit or Witout recipe by Mike Dixon. I decided to take a taste to see how it was coming along. It was extremely weak tasting, most likely because I missed my OG by .010 due to miscalculations with my strike water which produced too much wort. I boiled it for about 10 minutes longer than the required 60, and I still ended up with too much. Is there any way that I can fix it at this point? I'd like to try to get a richer flavor than what I currently have, if possible. Thanks.

There isn't much you can do at this point. Your best bet would be to brew another batch stronger than you meant for this to be, then blend the two.

Ok my plan is to brew a richer batch using 5 lbs more fermentables than the original to boost the flavor profile and alcohol content. The original recipe called for 5 lbs of flaked wheat and 5 lbs of Belgian pale malt. I'm upping this batch to 7.5 lbs of each, but I'm keeping the hops and spices the same. I'm also using beer smith this time and decocting rather than infusing to raise the temperature of my mash. I'm hoping this will right the ship, but I'd like some input. Thanks!

You can always boil longer also. My routine is a 90 minute boil. I evaporate 1.5 gallons during this time, so I know that I need 7 gallons. If I ended up with 7.5 gallons, another 1/2 hour and I'd be right where I needed to be.

Latest posts

Back