2nd failure of a freezer in 8 years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottsah

Reaction score
I have a freezer with a collar that holds a few kegs. It ran for about 4 or 5 years and then developed an ice ring near the collar. I may have broken it when removing the ice but regardless when I turned it on after several months of having it off it never got cold again.

I replaced it 2.5 years ago and about a week ago it developed an ice ring. I made sure the temp sensor was at the bottom of the chest and turned the temp up a few degrees. 5 days later the beer was warmish and it has not gotten cold again. Irritating.

I doubt it is coolant and someone came over and thought the compressor was turning on. The appliance repair people we have used do not want to look at it. I have two questions:

Any ideas of what is wrong
Any suggestions on what is causing it and how to avoid another failure​

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
kegerator 1.jpg kegerator 2.jpg

What is the temp you have it set to kick on and off also called the temperature differential of the cycle? For example, it will kick on a 45* and kick off at 38*?

A little more info is needed.

1. Where is this unit located, house, garage?
2. Was the 2nd unit new?
3. Do you have a controller running the freezer, or are you using the built in thermostat?

Ice buildup is normal if you don't have something pulling moisture out of the air like a EVA-Dry 500
The compressor will run with or without refrigerant, It wont run long without any refrigerant, and it defiantly won't cool without it.
Sometimes you can find a leek by looking for an oil stain (look in the compressor compartment) but if its in the walls of the freezer, good luck finding it.

Last edited:
What is the contraption with the blue hose and wooden box for?

I the recommendation for eva drys. I keep one of my freezers outside below my deck at 55 for storing homemade wine and keep 2 eva drys in it because if I don't water will collect at the bottom. Did I mention it is humid as heck here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back