2nd dry hop in 3rd carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retief

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried dry hopping twice? Or is a waste of time?

Yes, and I like the results much better. It offers an aroma that is less grassy and more aromatic overall for an IPA. It's a common method for professional breweries to dryhop their hoppy IPAs two, three, or even four times. The way they go about it is a bit different, but you essentially want to remove the prior additions before adding the new ones and limit oxygen exposure in the process. If you can do this in a manner than makes sense, then I encourage you to try multi-stage dryhopping.

Say you normally dryhop with 3 oz. of hops for 12 days. Instead of adding all 3 oz. at once for 12 days, the idea is to split it up into 1 oz. increments for 4 days each stage to equal 12 total days.

An easier way I have found, is to simply do a two-stage 10 day dryhop (5 days first addition in primary, 5 days second addition in secondary). With this process, you are using a secondary, however you do not have to worry about bagging your dryhops and reaching in and out each time that you want to replace the old addition with a new one. It's more convenient than a 3-stage dryhop and you are still going that extra step to limit dryhop exposure time to the potential that their aromatics are released without turning things too grassy by leaving them in longer.

You will hear a lot of recommendations to just leave your beer in the primary for the duration and not to bother with a secondary. But for multi-stage dryhopping, it comes in handy. An additional reason I like to use a secondary is to rack off the trub after a bringing the primary down to the low 30s (F), which helps to drop the yeast, and then pitch a gelatin solution for further clearing in 2-3 days more at cold crash temperatures (32-34 F).

Gelatin solution = 2/3 cup cold water and 1 tsp. unflavored instant powdered gelatin.

Combine and let bloom. Afterward, heat slowly to 150 F to fully dissolve. Try not to pass 160-170 F at any time or ever let it come to a boil. Let this mixture chill back to 100 F or so, then pour it in the cold beer that is sitting in your secondary. Wait 2-3 days, then bottle.

yeah this is common practice for a lot of the big boys. I'm pretty sure russian river is one of the breweries that do it.

So i bottled the ipa today. I dry hopped it twice, and it smells fantastic, tastes pretty good too. Cant wait till its actually ready!

EyePeeA said:
Yes, and I like the results much better. It offers an aroma that is less grassy and more aromatic overall for an IPA. It's a common method for professional breweries to dryhop their hoppy IPAs two, three, or even four times. The way they go about it is a bit different, but you essentially want to remove the prior additions before adding the new ones and limit oxygen exposure in the process. If you can do this in a manner than makes sense, then I encourage you to try multi-stage dryhopping.

Say you normally dryhop with 3 oz. of hops for 12 days. Instead of adding all 3 oz. at once for 12 days, the idea is to split it up into 1 oz. increments for 4 days each stage to equal 12 total days.

An easier way I have found, is to simply do a two-stage 10 day dryhop (5 days first addition in primary, 5 days second addition in secondary). With this process, you are using a secondary, however you do not have to worry about bagging your dryhops and reaching in and out each time that you want to replace the old addition with a new one. It's more convenient than a 3-stage dryhop and you are still going that extra step to limit dryhop exposure time to the potential that their aromatics are released without turning things too grassy by leaving them in longer.

You will hear a lot of recommendations to just leave your beer in the primary for the duration and not to bother with a secondary. But for multi-stage dryhopping, it comes in handy. An additional reason I like to use a secondary is to rack off the trub after a bringing the primary down to the low 30s (F), which helps to drop the yeast, and then pitch a gelatin solution for further clearing in 2-3 days more at cold crash temperatures (32-34 F).

Gelatin solution = 2/3 cup cold water and 1 tsp. unflavored instant powdered gelatin.

Combine and let bloom. Afterward, heat slowly to 150 F to fully dissolve. Try not to pass 160-170 F at any time or ever let it come to a boil. Let this mixture chill back to 100 F or so, then pour it in the cold beer that is sitting in your secondary. Wait 2-3 days, then bottle.

Why you gotta go blow my mind?

Dry hop twice? Three times?

Offfffff course!

(The files are in the computer)

Latest posts

Back