2nd dose of O2 in a big lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambleon

Reaction score
I brewed up a 1.070 maibock yesterday and hit it with 90 seconds of pure o2 once it reached the ferm temp (50 degrees). I pitched a huge starter of 2206 Bavarian Lager and let her ride. Should I dose it again with some o2 since I hear there's a decent amount of lag time with this yeast?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I personally wouldn't just because of the fear of oxidization, you can't be 100% sure that fermentation hasn't started. Why risk it.

I think with the initial aerating and with a large enough starter you'll be ok.

I would think you'll be fine, but I also think there's value in hitting it with more o2 after about 12 hours. You should still be plenty safe in terms of not oxidizing the beer 12 hours after pitching. I don't have any experience with big lagers, I tend to brew Viennas and Helles mostly, but they are 1.050 and less.

The Yeast book by Chris White recommends hitting a gravity of 1.080 something or more with O2 at 12-18hrs post pitch. I've tried it with good attenuation results and no oxidation flavors.

You can definitely hit it like that in the first 12-16 hours, after 24 hours though would prob be pushing it so earlier rather than later is best. I usually hit my Belgian Trippels when I pitch and then again about 8-12 hours later and have had excellent results and beers that scored very high in competition with that technique.

I brewed up a 1.070 maibock yesterday and hit it with 90 seconds of pure o2 once it reached the ferm temp (50 degrees). I pitched a huge starter of 2206 Bavarian Lager and let her ride. Should I dose it again with some o2 since I hear there's a decent amount of lag time with this yeast?

The second blast of O2 will lengthen lag time. The yeast see more O2 and go back into the reproduction phase instead of moving on to fermentation phase.

See the last Q&A show by Jamil on The Brewing Network.

Latest posts

Back