2nd BIAB in the fermenter, much better numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkevinb

Reaction score
Last week I did my first BIAB. Things went smoothly, but my efficiencies were low. This week I did another batch and did much better.

This time I had the LHBS double-mill the grain. I hit my strike temp (158F) right on, doughed in 9.25 lbs. of grain into 6.5 gallons of water, and hit the mash temp exactly (152F). I wrapped the kettle in a hoody, then stirred at 20 and 40 minutes. I didn't bother futzing with the temp. After an hour it was 148F. I mashed out for 10 minutes at 168F, then squeezed the bejeezus out of the bag. The fact that it was humid and foggy when I started undoubtedly reduced my boil-off quite a bit. I just dumped the kettle into the fermenter after chilling.

Pre-boil volume: 5.5 gallons
Pre-boil gravity: 1.048
Post-boil volume: 4.5 gallons
OG: 1.059

Conversion efficiency: 92%
Pre-boil efficiency: 78%
Ending kettle efficiency: 77%
Brewhouse efficiency: 77%

This beats the crap out of last week's brewhouse efficiency of 56%. Now we just have to wait and see how the beer tastes.

It appears the crush helped you out. Not so sure the stir twice during the mash is worth the temp loss, but rather a very thorough stir at the end of the mash prior to removing the bag might be all that's needed...just a thought...always looking to reduce effort and improve results.
Cheers!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

It appears the crush helped you out. Not so sure the stir twice during the mash is worth the temp loss, but rather a very thorough stir at the end of the mash prior to removing the bag might be all that's needed...just a thought...always looking to reduce effort and improve results.
Cheers!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I think I'll try the "no stir" method next time. The first time I stirred every 15 minutes. This brew was much more relaxed than the first one after I decided to lighten up and let the barley fulfill its dream of turning into beer. :mug:

Back