2nd batch, still flat..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CUSTOM-441

Robobrew v3.1 35L
Reaction score
So, I've made 2x 5gal extract batches so far (Coopers, no boil) and the taste is there but the carbonation is... lacking. In both cases I used the Northern Brewer priming calculator and I'm batch priming with dextrose. I'm measuring the priming sugar by weight and adding it to 1.5 - 2 cups of water. I boil the mix for a few minutes, chill to room temp and add it to the beer as I'm siphoning into the bottling bucket. I then stir it gently when I'm 2/3 and 1/3 through bottling to ensure a thorough mix.

My first batch I had bottle carbing in my basement for 2-3 weeks and it was carbonated but produced barely any head at all, and the carbonation didn't last long after the beer was poured. I figured maybe because my basement temperature is around 17-18C maybe the remaining yeast weren't active enough to produce carbonation in the bottle (this is the same room I fermented the beer in for approx 21 days). I also noticed very little sediment in the bottles after I poured.

My second batch I just sampled after 14 days in the bottle and the results are the same. A bit of a *psst!* when I open the bottle, but no head and very little carbonation. Also very little sediment in the bottle. The difference this time was I kept the bottles upstairs while they carbonating where the room temp is around 19-20C, and hoped this would make a difference. It clearly hasn't.

The only variable I can think of is the sugar, but I'm using the correct amount according to the batch priming calculator. I want to take the next step and pick up a kettle, wort chiller and start doing partial extract brews or BIAB, but I seem to be struggling with carbonation. I'm a little dejected.. any ideas?

I have not used the same calculator, however had a similar issue on my first batch, and second. I've used Brewer's Friend, https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ and have found letting my beers sit at room temp for extended periods of time has helped greatly.

My first batch of a cream ale was nearly flat, however a bottle I opened recently (~5mo after bottling) was nearly perfectly carbed. I originally gave up on the batch and drank it all and kept a couple bottles to see how they would do "aging."

My second batch, a brown ale, after 3 weeks of bottle conditioning was semi-flat/carbed. Now, about 5 weeks later, they seem perfectly carbed.

Tl/dr: give them time, may just need to age a bit to get what you're looking for.

Find some small plastic soda bottles, 330ml. When you feel the pressure build you’ll have an idea how well its carbed. Then youll know when its ok to crack the bottles open.

I had the same problem and live in Canada. They sat for 4 weeks and a little pfft when cracked but no carbonation even after refrigerated. I ended up putting them in a closet where the hot water tank and furnace are and in 2 weeks and had carbonation.
Don't give up!

Yeah, just find a warmer spot and give them another week or two. If you put the right numbers into the calculator it'll work eventually.

Yep, too cool to carbonate. 68 (20c) upstairs is still a bit cool. The basement is likely cooler slowing the process even more.

It often takes 3 weeks in the low 70s to get decent carb.

Latest posts

Back