27g Blichmann Conical Fermenter (head space)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulshine

Reaction score
I upgraded my homebrew setup several years back and think I went to big. I went with a 27g blichmann conical fermenter. In hindsight I should have gone with the 14g. I typically do 5g or 10g batches. The beers I've been making for years now come out decent but I feel like they all have this distinct taste to them I am wondering is the result of too much headspace doing a 5g batch in a 27g fermenter. Any thoughts?
Also, if that is the case and there is no solution to that do you think it is possible to sell a used 27g fermenter and then downgrade to the 14g?
I am just assuming the headspace has to be throwing the taste of my beers off a little.

Headspace does impact flavor of the beer, however I find if anything the extra headspace has helped me more than hurt my brews.

In any event, you could definitely sell that 27g and upgrade to a nice 14G conical. I would think you could get $500-$550 for it. See if you can sell it locally. I'd recommend listing it on CL and here and see if you get any bites. Then wait till summer time and get a nice Spike Brewing 14g conical. I'll bet you will like it more than your Blichmann

Back